Tree Pruner II
Company:City of Sacramento
Grounds and Landscaping Services
Grounds and Landscaping Services
Employment Type:Full Time
Salary:$19.98 - $28.24 Hourly
To prune and remove trees along City streets and to perform other related maintenance duties.
This is the third and full journey-level class in the Tree Pruner series. Incumbents work under direction and are expected to perform skilled tree pruning work. Work in this class is distinguished from that of Tree Pruner I by the greater complexity of the work and by the greater independence with which an incumbent is expected to operate. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are filled by advancement from the lower level class of Tree Pruner I. Appointment to the class of Tree Pruner II requires that the employee be performing substantially the full range of duties for the class and meet the qualification standards for the class.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Lead direction is provided by the Senior Tree Pruner class. No supervisory responsibilities are included in the duties.
Job Requirements:Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Climb trees using ropes, cables, climbing saddles, and spurs and operate aerial tower truck to remove undesired branches, limbs, and trees; lower removed portions to the ground with bull ropes.
- Operate chain and hand saws, power or pole pruners, axes, and other hand tools for felling trees or cutting felled trees; operate chipper and brush truck.
- Remove overhanging branches and split or broken limbs after a storm.
- Prune trees for clearance of overhead utility facilities excluding high voltage line clearance.
- Sharpen and maintain tools, ropes, and other safety equipment.
- Participate in planting, transplanting and seeding of trees.
- Bolt and cable split trees.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Special Instructions:Closing Date: Thu. 03/16/17 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Three years of qualifying experience pruning and removing large trees.
Possession of a valid California Class B Driver License is required at the time of appointment, and is a condition of continued employment. Loss of the Class B License is a cause for discipline. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application to the Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline:
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
- Possession of the minimum qualifications is not necessarily a guarantee of further advancement in the selection process.
3. Performance Test: (Weighted 100%) - Qualified candidates who successfully pass the written exam will be notified by email and/or mail of the test date, time, and location. This test will be tentatively held the week of April 2, 2017. The performance test is job related and may include, but is not limited to, the following areas:
- Climbing techniques and proper use and care of tree pruning equipment.
- Common hazards incurred in climbing, pruning, and felling trees and safety precautions to be observed.
- Safety rules and practices used in operating and maintaining tree pruning equipment and trucks.
- Common knots and rope ties used in tree pruning work.
- Planting, transplanting, and seeding methods.
- Methods used to protect trees from fungi and insects.
- Bolting and cabling techniques.
- Common names and growth characteristics of trees grown in the City of Sacramento.
- Common insect and disease problems which affect trees in the City of Sacramento.
- Tree pruning techniques and practices used by the City Tree Section.
- Climb trees and work at heights, sometimes in precarious positions and under adverse weather conditions.
- Learn to use tree pruning and maintenance equipment.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Operate tree pruning equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain periodic updated CPR and first aid training.
- Obtain a California Class B Driver License during the probationary period.
- Climb and prune trees using ropes, cables, climbing saddles, and spurs with greater independence and less lead supervision than the Tree Pruner Trainee.
- Operate aerial tower truck.
- Operate chain and hand saws, power or pole pruners, axes, and other hand tools used in tree pruning and maintenance work.
- Perform journey-level work without direct supervision in pruning and removing City trees.
4. Conviction Questionnaire: Human Resources will notify candidates who passed the exam by email to complete and submit the "Conviction Questionnaire". The notification will provide each candidate with instructions on how to sign into his/her GovernmentJobs account and retrieve the "Conviction Questionnaire". Promptly follow the instructions and respond to the questionnaire within 48 hours from the date of the email notification. Failure to complete this step by the deadline will result in you being placed in inactive status on the eligible list.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/hr/employment/index.cfm;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.
City of Sacramento
Address:915 I Street