The Teacher Retirement System of Texas in Austin is currently seeking a highly motivated, intellectually curious, quality-focused individual to serve as our Chief Audit Executive (CAE). The ideal candidate will actively partner with senior management in monitoring TRS' ethical and operational environment and serve as an independent and objective professional in assessing the results of management's work on behalf of the Board of Trustees.
The Chief Audit Executive performs highly advanced executive management work. Work involves providing operational direction and oversight to the agency's audit functions, developing and implementing strategies for the development of the Annual Audit Plan, and performing advanced and managerial internal auditing work. Participates as a strategic partner with agency leadership and serves as a member of the Executive Council (EC). Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of others. This position is located in downtown Austin and reports to the Board of Trustees.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Directs and oversees audit staff in planning, organizing, conducting and monitoring overall internal audit operations.
- Provides executive direction and oversight in planning and executing the agency's internal audit operations.
- Advises the Executive Director by providing direction and oversight of the audit operations of the agency.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to audit directors and managers in the recruitment and development of a diverse, high performing, and customer-service oriented work force.
- Maintains a high commitment to ethical management and business practices free of conflicts of interest.
- Promotes and upholds the agency core values of customer satisfaction, collaboration/teamwork, accountability, respect, ethics, excellence, and employee fulfillment.
- Hires, trains, and evaluates staff; takes corrective actions to address performance problems.
- Counsels and guides staff to ensure that approved audit objectives are met and that adequate coverage is achieved.
- Participates as a member of the agency's Executive Council in managing the strategic direction of the agency, including the development, revision and implementation of the TRS Strategic Plan, laws and rules, policies, legislative appropriation requests (LAR), and biennial and annual budgets.
- Directs and oversees the development of the Annual Audit Plan and the Internal Audit Annual Report.
- Directs the identification and evaluation of risk areas for the development of the Annual Audit Plan, and coordinates review and approval with the Audit Committee.
- Directs the preparation and review of Audit Committee quarterly meeting materials.
- Directs the performance of audit procedures, including identifying and defining issues and recommendations, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing relevant information, evaluating evidence, documenting business processes and procedures, and completing audit documentation.
- Communicates the results of audits to management, the Audit Committee, and the Board of Trustees.
- Represents TRS Internal Audit and management in Board meetings and with oversight agencies and other external organizations.
Internal Auditing and Management
- Directs and oversees the development of requests for contracted services for the Internal Audit Department, and monitors the contracted services until services are completed.
- Researches audit tools and leading audit practices.
- Directs and oversees complex performance, financial, and compliance audit projects.
- Directs and oversees the review and analysis of business processes.
- Ensures conformance with acceptable quality control standards through the review of work products of individual audit projects.
- Reviews and approves the audit objectives, scope, and audit programs for assigned audit projects.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible full-time experience as an auditor.
- Five (5) years of experience leading or managing professional audit staff.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- Certification as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Master's degree in business administration, public administration, or a related field.
- Experience in public sector auditing, and in managing and conducting audits in Information Systems, Investments, Financial Services, Benefit Plans, and/or Healthcare.
- Certified as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Certified as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
- Certified as a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA).
Please submit your application online to be considered.