FIRST FILING DATE: JULY 2, 2018, at 8 a.m. (PST)
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.EXAM NUMBER
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT - INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITY
Restricted to permanent employees of the County of Los Angeles who have successfully completed their initial probationary period.
Current employee in the unclassified service who meet the following criteria also qualify to participate in this exam:
NO WITHHOLD OR VERIFICATION OF EXPERIENCE LETTER / OUT-OF-CLASS EXPERIENCE ARE ALLOWED FOR THIS EXAMINATION. DEFINITION:
- Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service.
- Full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service at the time of filing.
Coordinates activities in connection with the planning, development, and execution of an extensive and on-going major building construction and alteration program for a large County department or institution.
Essential Job Functions
- Coordinates construction and alteration projects and represents the department's interests in contacts with the Chief Executive Office of Real Estate, Internal Services Department, contract city officials, County and contract architects and engineers, contractors, lessors, equipment manufactures, and personnel of involved agencies.
- Prepares drawings, specifications and estimates for building alterations and equipment installations which are to be carried out by County building craftsmen.
- Coordinates building and equipment maintenance, telephone, moving and miscellaneous related services incidental to primary responsibilities.
- Approves plans and specifications prior to the start of a construction project and ascertains that they are in conformity with the expressed needs of the department and in accordance with standards imposed by building codes.
- Assists in preparing space programs and identifies space to accommodate the Department space needs; determines space needs for anticipated operational requirements, making projections and recommendations for short, intermediate or long range expansions.
- Prepares requests for proposed construction or alteration projects, including leased properties.
- Conducts surveys and makes recommendations as to site requirements and the suitability of adequate space for programs expansions or relocations.
- Prepares specifications for purchase of building equipment and evaluations bids received.
- Coordinates delivery and installation of building equipment and ascertains that the deficiencies are corrected during the warranty period.
- Prepares applications to agencies in building projects and provides those agencies with technical or other information and periodic reports as required.
- Coordinates preliminary cost estimates for major construction projects and ascertains that projects are kept within budgetary limitation; evaluates change orders for additional work.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:OPTION I-
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited* college or university -AND-
two years' experience in architecturalwork at the level
of an Architectural Associate** in connection with the space planning, development, design or coordination of large architectural building and alteration project. One additional year of the required experience may be substituted for each year of college.OPTION II -
ABachelor's degree from an accredited* college or university-AND-
two years' experience as a Principal Facilities Planning Assistant*** in the service of the County of Los Angeles. Oneadditional year of the required experience may be substituted for each year of college.OPTION III -
ABachelor's degree from an accredited* college or university-AND-
two years' experience in a responsible staff capacity**** analyzing and making recommendations for the solution of problems of major building projects*****. Oneadditional year of the required experience may be substituted for each year of college.LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS II - Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
*in order to meet the Selection Requirements, applicants are required to attach a valid legible photocopy of Bachelor's degree with your application at the time of filing, or email to exam analyst at email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of filing your application online. Application without the required degree will be considered incomplete, and subject to disqualification. Accreditation Information:
Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges and International Handbook of Universities are acceptable references. Also acceptable, if appropriate, are degrees that have been evaluated and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from United States accredited institutions by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE).ALL APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS AT THE TIME OF FILING IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS EXAMINATION.**Experience at the level of Architectural Associate in the County of Los Angeles is defined
as functioning as a job captain providing technical directionto architectural design drafting personnel; coordinates and prepares master plans, schematic, preliminary and complete working drawings for large or complex projects.***
To qualify, applicants must have County status in this class, as evidenced by holding or having held such payroll title. No out-of-class experience will be accepted.****
Responsible staff capacity is defined as staff experience at the journey-level requiring working knowledge of rules, regulations, and other guidelines relating to program area assigned. Responsible staff capacity means experience at the level of Los Angeles County's class of AdministrativeAssistant II, Staff Assistant II, or higher.*****
Major building projects are defined as commercial buildings, office buildings, public buildings or large architectural buildings.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
In order to receive the credit for possessing degree in Architecture, applicants must submit a copy of Bachelor's or Master degree of Architecture at the time of filing your application online if not used for meeting the education Requirements.
- A Bachelor's degree of Architecture or Interior Design from an accredited* college or university.
- A Master's degree of Architecture or Interior Design from an accredited*university.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of two parts:Part I -
An evaluation of training and experience based on application information; and desirable qualifications, weighted 50%.Part II -
An Appraisal of Promotabilitywill evaluate Job Preparation, Analytical and Decision-Making Abilities, Interpersonal/Oral Communication Skills, Work Skills, and Adaptability and Dependability, weighted, 50%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part of the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an"as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.VACANCY INFORMATION
The eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies for the Whole Person Care Program and other area of the Department of Health Services as they occur.SPECIAL INFORMATION
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATIONAPPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY.APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting.You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made.Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
from Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely.The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS.
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
- If you are unable to attach required documents, you must fax them to (323) 869-0942 or e-mail the documents to the exam analyst, within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password.Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.DEPARTMENT CONTACT
HuongDuong, Exam Analyst
firstname.lastname@example.orgADA COORDINATOR PHONE
(323) 914-7124CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE