PH5864BFIRST DAY OF FILING:
Monday, July 16, 2018, at 8:00 a.m., Pacific Standard Time (PST)
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityDEFINITION:
Evaluates occupational therapy services and rehabilitative services provided by licensed hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and related health care facilities throughout Los Angeles County to ascertain the degree of compliance with State and Federal regulations; and provides consultative services to the therapy staff of hospitals and health care facilities in meeting legal requirements.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
The one position allocable to this class receives administrative direction from a Health Facilities Program Manager of the Health Facilities Division, Department of Health Services and is guided by broadly defined County, State and Federal regulations. The incumbent surveys and evaluates occupational and rehabilitative therapy services provided by approximately 800 hospitals, skilled nursing and other health facilities throughout Los Angeles County for compliance with County, State and Federal regulations and therapy standards. The incumbent provides technical assistance to Health Facilities Evaluators who are responsible for the overall survey of licensed health care facilities, and provides therapy consultative services requested by licensees to improve administrative procedures and quality of therapy services. The incumbent also investigates complaints regarding therapy services in licensed health care facilities and prepares reports of findings.
Essential Job Functions
- Evaluates the quality of therapy services in hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and other health care facilities and determines if the services are in compliance with County, State and Federal regulations and therapy standards
- Visits facilities and interviews hospital administrators, nursing staff, therapy staff and patients to obtain information regarding administration and services
- Inspects the physical plant for adequate and appropriate facilities and equipment; reviews policies and procedures to determine that they are in writing and adequate for the needs of the therapy staff and patients
- Interviews patients, and where indicated, performs a therapy evaluation to assess the quality of the therapy care the patient is receiving
- Reviews contracts between hospitals and contract therapy agencies to ascertain that they are current and provide therapy coverage that meets the needs of the patients
- Reviews patients' charts and treatment documentation for compliance with professional therapy standards and practices and for State and Federal regulations
- Reviews and analyzes the results of the survey to determine areas of non-compliance and depending upon the nature of non-compliance, prepares reports for supervising health facilities evaluators and/or State Department of Health or Department of Consumer Affairs
- Provides consultation to the chief and program managers of the Health Facilities Division by keeping abreast of new State and Federal regulations, and advises on the impact on therapy services and actions required for implementation and compliance
- Serves as a resource person to Health Facilities Evaluators by surveying and analyzing therapy services for compliance with regulations and therapy standards and advising them on appropriate corrective measures
- Consults with hospital administrators, therapy and nursing staff by interpreting State and Federal Regulations and advising on the implementation of licensing, Medi-Cal and Medicare requirements
- Testifies as an expert witness in license revocation actions or in Medi-Cal or Medicare decertification hearings based on inadequate therapy services by presenting analysis of survey finding
- Serves as therapy resource person for in-service training and orientation of the Health Facilities Division staff and for the community by planning and participating in sessions, seminars and workshops
- Maintains liaison between various State and local organizations regarding the development, definition and administration of occupational therapy standards and practices
- Serves on various committees concerned with interpretation and revision of legislation and professional management of occupational therapy services
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
A Bachelor's Degree from an occupational therapy curriculum accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association* -AND- registration by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT)- AND - Five years' experience as a registered occupational therapist***, two years of which must have been in a supervisory, administrative, or consultative capacity.
A Master's Degree from an accredited* college or university in occupational therapy, public health, special education or other related field may be substituted for one year ofclinical occupational therapy experience.LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation to perform job-related essential functions may be required.PHYSICAL CLASS:2- Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:CERTIFICATE and LICENSE INFORMATION:
Please make sure to fill out the Certification and License Section of your application. Be sure to give thetype of certification and/or license,the number(s), and the name(s) of the issuing agency(ies). Please attach a copy of the required certificate and/or license to your application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing.
***In the County of Los Angeles a Registered Occupational Therapist is one who posses a current License issued by the California Board of Occupational Therapy as an Occupational Therapist.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of experience based upon application information and supplemental questionnaire at the time of filingweighted 100%
.Candidates must meet theSelection Requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examinationin order to be added to the Eligible Register.
Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment.
Non-Acceptance and Examination Results letters will be sent via United States Postal Service(USPS). Examination scores cannot be given over the phone or by e-mail.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will beadded to the EligibleRegister in the order of their score group for a period oftwelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.NO PERSON MAY COMPETEIN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERYTWELVE(12)MONTHS
Complete applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis andwill be added to the Eligible Register accordingly.VACANCY INFORMATION:
The EligibleRegisterresulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filedONLINE ONLY
. Applications submitted bymail, fax,orin person willNOT
be accepted. Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be submitted with your application online or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to cwallace.ph.lacounty.gov .
Apply online by clicking on the green"Apply"
button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website. Applicants must submit their completed applications by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you haveclearly
shown that you meet theSELECTION REQUIREMENTS .
Fill out the application and supplemental questionnaire completely and correctly toreceive full credit for any relevant education and/or job experience you include. In the space provided on the application for education, include names and addresses of schools attended, dates attended, degree(s) received, and degree major. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, beginning and ending dates,number of hours worked per week, description of work and duties performed. If your application and/or supplemental questionnaire is/are incomplete, the applicationwill beREJECTED
*In order to receive credit for any college or universitycourse work, or any type of college or universitydegree, such asa Bachelor Degree or higher,youmust include a legible copy
of the Official Diploma,Official Transcript(s)**, or Official Letter fromthe accredited institution, which shows the area of specialization and the date the degree was awarded, with Registrar's signature and school seal withyour application online at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to email@example.com .
is defined as a transcript that bears the college seal and states "official and/or copy" issued by the school's Registrar Office. Aprintout
of the transcript from the school's website is NOT considered official and, therefore, will NOT be accepted and will result in your application being incomplete andwill be REJECTED.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents with your application online, youmust
e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission.In the "Subject" of the e-mail pleasetype the Exam Number and Exam Title.
Failure to provide complete, accurateinformation willimpact the assessment of your qualifications and the acceptance of your application into the examination process.IMPORTANT NOTES:
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
- Please note thatALLinformation supplied by applicants andincluded in the application materials is subject toVERIFICATIONat any point during the examination, selectionand hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination,selection and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- FALSIFICATIONof any information may result inDISQUALIFICATIONor RESCISSIONOF APPOINTMENT.
- UtilizingVERBIAGEfrom Class Specification(s) and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of dutiesWILL NOTbe sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. In doing so, your application will beREJECTED as Incomplete.
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes in the format XXX-XX-XXXX. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922
ADA Coordinator Phone: (323) 869-8505
Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099
Alternate Teletype Phone: (800) 897-0077
Department Contact Name: Clarissa Wallace
Department Contact Phone: (323) 890-8488
Department Contact E-mail: email@example.com