DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
EXAM NUMBER:Y4983GDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL JOB OPPORTUNITY
ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: 03/24/2014Restricted to permanent employees of the Department of Health Services who have successfully completed their initial probationary period. Unclassified employees who have attained permanent Countystatus on a classified by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service. Full-time employee in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service at the time of filing or by the last day of filing.DEFINITION:
Supervises a medical laboratory support unit operating on a single shift.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans work schedules and assigns Laboratory Assistant/Laboratory Attendant personnel to laboratory units or work stations within a laboratory support unit on the basis of such factors as workload, the number of employees available, their qualifications, and the extent of their training in the procedures involved.
- Plans, develops and conducts an orientation program for newly assigned Laboratory Assistants/ Laboratory Attendants and trains them in the specific procedures established by laboratory management for the performance of the work.
- Evaluates the work of all Laboratory Assistants/Laboratory Attendants assigned to the unit supervised and counsels them on steps they may need to take to improve their performance; effectively recommends or initiates disciplinary action and the adjustment of employee grievances.
- Confers with clinical laboratory scientist supervisors to determine the level of Laboratory Assistant performance and initiates appropriate corrective action in cases where any aspect of performance is considered to be less than satisfactory.
Requirements SelectionRequirements:Option I:
Two years' experienceat the level of Los Angeles County class ofLaboratory Assistant*Option II:
One year of experience at the level of Los Angeles County class of Senior Laboratory Assistant**.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.Physical Class II - Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.Desirable Qualifications:
An Associate's degree*** or higher from an accredited**** college with specialization in Microbiology, Biological Science, or a closely related field.
Additional Information Special Requirement Information:
Verification of Experience:
Experience gained in a position performing similar kinds of work which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the higher level position will be accepted. Experience claimed will be verified and evaluated to determine if the type, level or length of experience is qualifying. Applicants must supply sufficient information for this evaluation to be made. Applicants claiming such experience in County service must present, at time of filing, written proof of this experience in a Verification of Experience Letter approved by their Departmental Human Resources Manager or authorized representative.Credit will only be given for out-of-class experience to meet the selection requirements ONLY.Withhold Information:
Permanent employees who have completed their initial probationary period and hold a qualifying payroll title may file for this examination if they are within six months of meeting the experience requirements by the last day of filing.
* Laboratory Assistant in the County of Los Angeles is defined as assisting laboratory personnel in the performance of standard laboratory tests on human and other specimens or assigns, trains, and reviews the work of a group of lower-level laboratory positions.
** Senior Laboratory Assistant in the County of Los Angeles is defined asscheduling, assigning, training, and reviewing the work of Laboratory Assistants on a single shift.
***In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as an Associate's degree or higher, or for completion of a certificate program, you MUST
include a legible photocopy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization; or official certificates with your application within 15 calendar days of filing your application online.Special Information:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.Available Shift:
AnyExamination Content:This examination will consist of two (2) parts:Part I -
An evaluation ofexperience and desirable qualificationsbased upon application information weighted 60%.Part II
- An Appraisal of Promotability which will evaluate knowledge and skills, adaptability, dependability, work habits and productivity, and supervisionweighted 40%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part of this examinationin order to be added to the eligible register for this examination.Vacancy Information:
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.Eligibility Information:
Applications will be processed on an"as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on the examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Selection Requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must fax them to 323-869-0942 or email the documents to the exam analyst,within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 914-7111California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Jaquelyne Saldana, Exam Analyst