The Position Bargaining Unit: Local 856 - Health Services Unit
The Contra Costa County Health Services Department is recruiting individuals to fill two Medical Laboratory Technician vacancies in the Clinical Laboratory Division of Contra Costa Regional Medical Center located in Martinez, CA. Incumbents perform a variety of professional clinical laboratory procedures- including the full range of specimen collection, processing and testing for hematology, chemistry, microbiology, urinalysis and coagulation. Incumbents are responsible for the technical accuracy of hematological, biochemical, serological, and coagulation tests, and other related duties as assigned.
To read the complete job description, please visit the website: https://www.cccounty.us/hr
The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six months. Typical Tasks
Minimum Qualifications Licenses:
- Performs clinical laboratory procedures in clinical chemistry, microbiology, hematology, urinalysis and phlebotomy on a rotation basis.
- Reports patient test results verbally and in writing to members of the medical and nursing staffs.
- Operates and maintains manual equipment and automated, computer controlled equipment.
- Maintains quality control statistical data
- Collects blood and urine samples from patients and processes these specimens including entry/receipt of specimens in LIS, centrifugation, and distribution/sending to reference laboratories.
- Stains blood smears of biological specimens.
- Prepares laboratory reagents.
- Maintains laboratory logs and records.
- Assists physician in the obtaining and staining of bone marrow specimens.
- Makes gram stains and streaks culture plates.
- Prepares specimens for transportation from collection sites to main laboratory.
- Receives specimens from collection sites at the main laboratory.
- Prepares specimens for shipment to reference and/or Contra Costa Public Health Laboratory.
- Provides and promotes excellent customer service for all internal and external customers
- Monitors room and refrigerator temperatures.
- Greets patients, answers phones and performs other duties as required.
- Performs record keeping, labeling and filing, and other related duties.
- Receives and stores laboratory supplies and assists in maintaining inventory.
- Assists in the entry of reference laboratory and point of care results.
- Assists in laboratory data collection.
Candidates must possess and maintain throughout the duration of employment a valid: 1) California Motor Vehicle Operator's License. Out of state valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License will be accepted during the application process. 2) Medical Laboratory Technician license issued by the State of California Department of Health.Other Requirements:
A background investigation/fingerprint and/or physical exam may be required prior to the start of employment. Selection Process 1. Application Filing:
All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date.2. Application Evaluation:
Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.3. Training and Experience Evaluation:
Consists of an evaluation of each candidate's relevant education, training and/or experience as presented on the application and supplemental questionnaire (Weighted 100%).
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.CONVICTION HISTORY
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.