This is a Part Time, Non Permanent position.
Assists in performing general maintenance duties in support of the beach maintenance operation. MUST BE AVAILABLE TO WORK NIGHTS, WEEKENDS & HOLIDAYS. Based on qualifications, department has the discretion to determine hiring level at I, II, III, IV or V (Part-Time Level 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10).
Supervision Received and Exercised: Receives direct supervision from beach maintenance crew leaders. The position may work independently while working under the overall supervision of a full time staff member in the beach maintenance operation.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 to June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS retired annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Clean restrooms
- Shovel debris from fire rings
- Hand sweep stairs
- Pick up trash
- Blow stairs with mobile compressor
- Perform other related duties as assigned
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Any combination of education, training, and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform in the position is qualifying. A typical combination includes:Knowledge of:
- Use of a variety of hand/power tools and equipment
- Safe work practices
- Safe motor vehicle operation.
Experience and Education:
- Perform less skilled tasks with moderate supervision
- Understand and carry out both oral and written instructions
- Learn beach maintenance duties and responsibilities and other related duties in support of Community Services beach maintenance programs
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties
- Work flexible hours, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays, to meet the seasonal programs and services of the Community Services Department as required.
Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Some high school and related experience or on-the-job training involving general maintenance duties. Knowledge and abilities in beach maintenance is preferred , but not mandatory.Special requirements:
This position requires possession of a valid California Driver License and evidence of and ability to maintain an acceptable driving record during the course of employment.
Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
- An official City of Huntington Beach on-line job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- If you do not have paid work experience, please list any relevant experience.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to an oral interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement drug screen, TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions
Sit to operate motorized vehicle; stand to perform tasks or operate tools and equipment; walk to carry/operate tools and equipment; reach below and above shoulder level, turn, twist, lean, bend, stoop, crouch and squat to perform physical tasks, and climb short distances; carry, push, pull and drag weight of at least 50 pounds a distance of approximately 35 feet from a staging point to a work area; light and firm grasping, including finger dexterity to hold and operate hand tools; foot manipulation to drive vehicle using accelerator pedal or brake pedal; speak to answer basic questions from the public or ask questions of the supervisor. Work is primarily performed outdoors with exposure to direct sunlight, rain, humidity, dust, and noisy equipment. SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.