Y5077K FILING START DATE:
November 7, 2016 at 8:00 a.m. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Departmental Promotional Job OpportunityRESTRICTED TO PERMANENT EMPLOYEES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THEIR INITIAL PROBATIONARY PERIOD. JOB OPPORTUNITY INFORMATION:
Current employees in the unclassified service who meet the following criteria also qualify to participate in this exam: Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service; Full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service at the time of filing or by the last day of filing.DEFINITION:
Supervises a group of central service workers performing processing, sterilization, and distribution of medical and patient care supplies and equipment on one shift.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class typically report to a central service or hospital materials manager, nursing supervisor or higher level manager and are characterized by responsibility for directing all aspects of work on one shift for a group of central service workers performing the processing and sterilization of medical or surgical sets or patient care supplies, or performing the distribution and control of such supplies throughout a hospital. These positions are distinguished from subordinate positions by the inclusion of basic administration as well as technical responsibility for the work performed by subordinates. The responsibilities involve assigning subordinates to specific tasks, establishing and maintaining quotas and work standards, and exercising quality control over production or distribution by monitoring work results and evaluating employee performance. Assignments in this class often require participation in work performed by subordinates.Positions allocable to this class are required to exercise a knowledge of infection control, decontamination, sterilization techniques and procedures and principles of supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains adequatesupply PAR levelsand equipment for patient care areas by establishing quotas, inspecting supply areas and inventories, establishing delivery routes and schedules, checking supply deliveries, and discussing supply problems with supervisors and managers.
- Performs basic administrative tasks such as making staff assignments, ordering unit supplies and equipment to maintain PAR levels, compiling daily production and other reports and contributing to or preparing employee evaluations.
- Plans, assigns and supervises and may participate in the work of subordinates engaged in all central services processes including but not limited to sterilizing, processing, packaging and distributing medical and patient care supplies and equipment.
- Maintains data and reports on equipment repairs and follows up on equipment repair needs to ensure timely repair.
- Instructs and trains central service workers in new policies, techniques and procedures relating to their positions.
- Assists in periodic physical inventories and data maintenance; may suggest new or improved procedures/processes.
- Adjusts workforce schedule according to workload and staffing availability.
- Participatesin the processes of product testing and evaluation and maintains staff competencies.
- Routinely inspects workstations for cleanliness and safety.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:Option I
: One year's experience as a Central Services Technician II.*-OR-Option II
: Two years of paid experience in processing, ordering, storing and distributing medical supplies and equipment.**PHYSICAL CLASS III
: Moderate: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
*In order to qualify under Option I, the applicant must have held the In the County of Los Angeles, a Central Services Technician II performs the full range of sterilizing, processing, packaging, and distribution duties in a central service unit or in ancillary hospital units.
**In order to qualify under Option II, applicant must illustrate full range of responsibilityin processing, ordering, storing and distributing medical supplies and equipment.
***Applicants must provide a legible copy of certification in the desired training in order to receive credit.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Additional credit will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Additional qualifying experience beyond the Selection Requirements.
- Certification as a Certified Registered Central Services Technician, Certified Instrument Specialist, and/or Certification in Healthcare Leadership.***
***The CRCST will be verified by using the information onthe International Association of HealthcareCentral Service Material Management's (IAHCSMM) website at https://www.iahcsmm.org/certification/hr-certificate-verification.html .
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This exam will consist of two (2) parts:PART 1
-An evaluationof training and experience based on application information and desirable qualificationsweighted 50%.PART 2
- An Appraisal of Promotabilitywhich will measure knowledge and skills/job preparation, interpersonal skills, oral/written communication and comprehension, judgment and decision-making ability, and adaptability and dependability, and leadership, weighted 50%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70percent or higher on each weighted part of the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible list accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade on the examination will be placedon the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period oftwelve (12) monthsfollowing the date of eligibility.
No person may compete in this examination more than once everytwelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.Apply online by clicking the green"APPLY" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST on the last day of filing will not be accepted.IMPORTANT NOTE:
Please note thatALL
information included in the application materials is subject toVERIFICATION
at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.FALSIFICATION
of any information may result inDISQUALIFICATION
orRESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
from Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of dutiesWILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in anINCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may beDISQUALIFIED
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS
. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.NOTE
: If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you must email the Exam Analyst,Luz Pascualat firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online. Please include exam number and exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member orfriend's user ID and passwordmay erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR:
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Luz Pascual, Exam Analyst
Closing Date/Time: Continuous