This is a Part Time, Non Permanent Position.
This is an excellent opportunity to work for the Community Services Department
under the direction of a Department Assistant II in a busy rental facility.
The ideal candidate must possess effective communication and interpersonal skills, outstanding customer service skills, and work well in a busy environment. Possible locations for work include, but are not limited to Newland Barn, Lake Park, and Harbour View clubhouses. Primary work hours will be evenings, including most weekends often until midnight.
Note : This recruitment may close at any time, and will close when the hiring manager determines that enough qualified applications have been received.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 - June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Provide oversight throughout the duration of an event
- Assist with trash disposal and maintenance needs, crowd control, and noise abatement
- Assume responsibility of maintaining the cleanliness of equipment and facilities
- Spot clean floors and restrooms as needed
- Vacuum carpets, empty trash, pick up and remove litter from properties, replace garbage can liners
- Set up tables and chairs for special events, classes or programs, and performs clean-up duties after the event, when necessary
- Pick-up and deliver maintenance supplies, as instructed
- Performs related duties as assigned.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments a needed.
Qualifications Knowledge of
: City and departmental policies and procedures; equipment and tools necessary for maintaining the cleanliness of buildings; safety precautions related to custodial work. Ability to
: Work independently and be in charge of a facility in the absence of a supervisor, follow oral and written instructions, operate assigned tools and equipment, follow safety practices and recognize safety hazards, establish cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work, provide excellent customer service to the community at all times, communicate clearly and concisely, lift or move up to 50 pounds without assistance, as well as heavier objects with assistance. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education & Experience
: High school graduation or equivalent and previous on-the-job training required. License :
By time of appointment, must have a valid California driver license with an acceptable driving record. Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle. CPR/First Aid Certificates :
Must be obtained within 3 months of appointment. APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to an oral interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a drug screen, TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.