TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITY EXAM NUMBER
Y5216N APPLICATION FILING PERIOD
11/8/2018 AT8:00 A.M. (PST)This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.Restricted to permanent employees of the Department of Health Services who have successfully completed their initial probationary period.Current employees in the unclassified service who meet the following criteria also qualify to participate in this exam:
Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service; Full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service at the time of filing or by the last day of filing.No Out-of-Class Experience or Verification of Experience letters will be accepted. No withholds allowed for this examination.
Essential Job Functions
- Utilizes evidence-based data to improve curriculum development, training program or course content, and learning activities, and reports findings to colleagues.
- Supervises clinical and nursing instructors in the development of course content and selection of teaching methods designed to achieve established educational objectives and evaluates their effectiveness.
- Identifies and analyzes on an ongoing basis the training needs and problems of varied levels and categories of nursing personnel throughout the organization.
- Plans, develops and implements the use of evaluation tools to measure the effectiveness of didactic and clinical content and modify as indicated.
- Plans and supervises student performance in the application of theoretical content in a clinical setting.
- Conducts formal classroom instruction in the more complex areas of nursing requiring application of theoretical concepts specific to nursing procedures or techniques including supervisory principles and practices.
- Participates as a member or chair of committees related to nursing education or training as it pertains to hospital policies/procedures, state, federal and/or other regulatory governing bodies.
- Formulates and develops procedures and program content designed to meet specifically identified training needs, identified problems, or the objective of an established curriculum.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
LICENSE(S) AND CERTIFICATE(S) REQUIRED
- Two (2) years' of nursing education experience as a Nursing Instructor* or its equivalent.
- A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
- Current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.
:A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Applicants must ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
The required license and certification MUST
be current/active and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certification willNOT
be accepted.A current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR &AED) Program.
attach a legible photocopy of the required BLScertification to their application atthe time of filing or within 15 calendardays of filing your application online.
Applications submitted without the required evidence ofBLScertification will be rejected. PHYSICAL CLASS
: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
*Nursing Instructor experience is defined as: Develops specialized training programs or educational course content for a group of employees, presents this content in a formal learning situation, supervises its application in a clinical setting, and evaluates effectiveness of the training in achieving predetermined training objectives under technical supervision. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications:
- At least one of the following certifications issued by the American Heart Association:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Instructor
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Instructor
In order to receive credit for the above noted certification(s), applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their certification(s) to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing application.
- A Master's degree in Nursing Education from an accredited nursing program.
In order to receive credit for a college degree on this examination, applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their "official" diploma(s), "official" transcripts, or "official" letter(s) from an accredited institution which shows the area of specialization to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendardays of filing application.
- Additional nursing education experience as a Nursing Instructor* or its equivalent in excess of the Selection Requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
The examination will consist of two (2) parts:Part I
:An evaluation of education and experience based upon application information and desirable qualificationsweighted50%.Part II
An Appraisal of Promotability which will measure Interpersonal and Oral Communication, Analytical and Decision Making Ability, Knowledge and Work Skills, Adaptability and Dependability, and Leadership,weighted 50%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part of this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade will be placed on the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period oftwelve (12) monthsfrom the date of promulgation. Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. No person may compete in this examination more than once everytwelve (12) months. AVAILABLE SHIFT
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. VACANCY INFORMATION
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the "APPLY" green button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you haveclearly
shown that you meet theSELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely and correctly to receive full credit for related education and/or experience. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces providedso we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed.If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected
If you are unable to attach the required documents as attachments during your application submission, you may email the documents to Brenda G. Aguila at firstname.lastname@example.org within 15 calendar days of filing online.Please include the exam number and exam title. IMPORTANT NOTES
- Please note thatALLinformation included in the application materials is subject toVERIFICATIONat any point during The examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result inDISQUALIFICATIONorRESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- UtilizingVERBIAGEfrom Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirement. Doing so may result in anINCOMPLETE APPLICATIONand your application may beDISQUALIFIED.:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR
(323) 914-7111 CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT
Brenda G. Aguila, Exam Analyst