Hours worked per week may vary
This position will be located at Central Library, Adult Literacy Services. The ideal candidate
must possess effective and cooperative communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to relate to a diverse group of people.
This is an excellent part-time job opportunity for an individual to provide staff support and customer service to patrons of the City of Huntington Beach libraries within the Library Services Department.
The Library Services Department includes Administration, Adult/Technical Services, Facilities and Children's/Branch/Media. Note:
This recruitment may close at any time, and will close as soon as the hiring manager determines that enough qualified applications have been received.
This is a part-time, on-call position. The hours are on a set weekly schedule; however, the incumbent must be flexible to work on-call, evenings, and weekends.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 - June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Staffs the literacy office
- Answers phones and responds to Literacy's email
- Assists literacy volunteers and adult literacy students
- Works on various projects for the literacy program (mailings, making phone calls, preparing educational materials for classes)
- Helps maintain collection of tutoring materials
- Keeps tutor sign-in book up to date
- Maintains spreadsheets of tutors' and learners' hours
The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. The City at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Strong communication skills in English.
Excellent people skills and ability to work as a team.
Must have sufficient training and/or experience to clearly demonstrate the skills, knowledge, abilities and personal attributes required for this classification, as may be demonstrated by successful completion of high school or higher and two years' directly related experience.
Incumbent must be comfortable using personal computers and have familiarity with Microsoft Office. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official City of Huntington Beach on-line job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to a department interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.