TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY EXAM NUMBER
Y5701F FILING START DATE
1/7/2019 at 8:00 A.M. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to close without prior notice. POSITION/PROGRAM INFORMATION
Consults with administrative, medical, and nursing personnel in hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and related health facilities to assist them in achieving compliance with State and Federal nursing regulations, and with the professional staff of the County Health Facilities Inspection Division in evaluating nursing services provided by licensed health care facilities.
Essential Job Functions
- Functions as a Just Culture expert to provide consultation to facilities in the use and interpretation of the Just Culture model. Provides facility training in Just Culture concepts when requested.
- Assists with Risk Management and Patient Safety related functions, including staffing DHS' Risk Management and Patient Safety committees.
- Provides professional consultation to health facility administrators and nursing staff in the interpretation of laws, regulations and standards governing licensing, accreditation and certification for Medicare and Medi-Cal and in various acceptable methods of maintaining, improving, or modifying nursing operations.
- Plans, develops, and conducts orientation and in-service training sessions for Division staff, conducts and participates in educational programs for health facility administrators, nurses and other health professionals, and develops guidelines and manuals for use in interpreting requirements for nursing care services.
- Conducts both internal and external surveys to determine standards of practice which includes preparing survey questions, distributing surveys, following up on facility/program responses, and compiling summary data.
- Visits health facilities and evaluates the quality of nursing service and compliance with laws and regulations; Notifies facilities in writing of findings and recommendations for correction of deficiencies, monitoring progress toward implementation of recommendations.
- Conducts audits, performs special studies and critical reviews of medical record, such as adverse event investigations, Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goal audits, and risk management audits to confirm compliance with facility enacted corrective actions.
- Functions as the chairperson for the Infection Control Committee, Quality Improvement Committee and Emergency Preparedness Subcommittee, which includes assisting department managers and directors to organize, interpret, and present data for committee meetings; Plans agendas and prepares minutes for the monthly Quality Improvement and Infection Control committee meetings.
- Assists in departmental improvement projects such as those related to hospital acquired pressure injuries, falls, workplace violence, etc.
- Performs reviews and critical analyses of Safety Intelligence (SI) incident reports submitted by facility frontline staff, to assess for appropriateness and thoroughness based on departmental policies. Identifies and notifies DHS Risk Management staff of events that may meet external reporting criteria such as CDPH Adverse Events and/or those that are at high risk for litigation.
- Updates and revises program materials, such as the "Patient Safety & Risk Management Handbook". Creates Patient Safety and Risk Management educational materials for facility staff.
- Maintains liaison with State and Federal agencies and professional organizations in connection with the development, analysis and interpretation of legislative and regulatory material in the area of nursing and its application to licensed health care facilities.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Five (5) years' experience as a Registered Nurse including two (2) years' experience in an administrative*, supervisory**, or consultative*** capacity.
(A Master's Degree in Nursing from an accredited**** college or university will be accepted for (1) year of the required experience.) LICENSE: A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Please ensure the certificates and licenses section of the application is completed. Provide the type of the required license(s), the number(s), the date(s) of issue, the date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for each license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must provide their Registered Nurse License Number from that state on the application at the time of filing. Applications submitted without the required evidence of licensure will be considered incomplete.
The required license and certification must be current, active, and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary, or restricted license or certification will not be accepted.A valid California Class C Driver License is required.
Successful applicants for positions that require driving must obtain and present a copy of his/her driving record from the California State Department of Motor Vehicles before final appointment. Applicants should not present a copy of their driving history until asked to do so by the hiring department. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether an applicant's driving history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job. License must not be currently suspended, restricted, or revoked. PHYSICAL CLASS: II - Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
Administrative capacity is defined as performing in an administrative services branch of an organizational unit, including responsibility for the development of procedures and participation in policy formulation.**
Supervisory capacity is defined as planning, assigning, reviewing the work of staff, and evaluating employee performance.***
Consultative capacity is definedas an expert in a specialized field, expressing views, providing opinions, and recommending courses of action to be taken on problems presented by others for resolution.****
In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as master degree, you must include a legible copy of the official diploma or official transcripts which shows the area of specialization with your application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Additionalcredit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications:
- Experience working in a Risk Management, Quality Improvement, Patient Safety or Infection Control department.
- Experience as a Registered Nurse surveying, investigating, inspecting and evaluating hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and other health facilities, clinics and/or individual providers for conformity with and enforcement of Federal and State licensing and certification requirements relating to the quality of medical care.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of an evaluation of education and experience based upon application information, desirable qualifications, and supplemental questionnaire, weighted at 100%.
Candidates must meet the selection requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION :
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period oftwelve (12) monthsfollowing the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once everytwelve (12) months. AVAILABLE SHIFT :
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. VACANCY INFORMATION :
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking the "APPLY" green button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you haveclearly
shown that you meet theSELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely to receive full credit for related education and/or experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. Please do not group your experience, for each position held, give the name and address of your employer, your position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed.If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Please note that Allinformation supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject toVERIFICATION. We may reject your application at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment is made.
- FALSIFICATIONof any information may result inDISQUALIFICATION.
- UtilizingVERBIAGEfrom Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of dutiesWILL NOTbe sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered as a response; in doing so, your application will beREJECTED.
- It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three elements: ACTION you took, the CONTEXT in which you took that action, and the BENEFIT that was realized from your action. Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.
If you are unable to attachdocuments to your application, you must email the documents tothe Exam Analyst, Christina Royat firstname.lastname@example.org 15 calendar days of filing online
. Please ensure to reference your attachment(s) by including your full name,examination number andexamination title in the subject of your email. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employees have a Social Security Number. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed . ADA COORDINATOR :
(323) 914-7111 TELETYPE PHONE :
(800) 899-4099 CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE :
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT :
Christina Roy, Exam Analyst