TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
:DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITY RESTRICTED TO PERMANENT EMPLOYEES OF THE ABOVE DEPARTMENT WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THEIR INITIAL PROBATIONARY PERIOD. EXAM NUMBER
:Y5296MFILING START DATE
:08/14/17 AT 8:00 A.M.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.REBULLETIN INFO RMATION
:THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO RE-OPEN THE EXAM, UPDATE THE SALARY INFORMATION AND APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION. PERSONS WHO HAVE APPLIED WITHIN THE LAST TWELVE (12) MONTHS NEED NOTREAPPLY, BUT MAY CONTACT THE EXAM ANALYST TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. THE INFORMATION MUST INCLUDE YOUR NAME, THE EXAMINATION NUMBER AND EXAMINATION TITLE. JOB OPPORTUNITY INFORMATION
Current employees in the unclassified service who meet the following criteria also qualify to participate in this exam: Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service; Full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service at the time of filing or by the last day of filing. MANANGEMENT APPRAISAL OF PERFORMANCE PLAN (MAPP)
: This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with MAPP guidelines and regulations. DEFINITION
Under general direction, administers the total nursing staff and administrative program which includes multiple programs or organizational areas of an operating unit, or a specialized element in a very large operation with responsibility for planning, organizing, staffing, budgeting, directing and controlling the accomplishment of both short and long-term objectives. CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS
Positions allocable to this class function as the senior nursing administrative position in facilities with large nursing operations or as a senior management team member in extremely large operations. Incumbents direct multiple Assistant Nursing Directors, Administration, or equivalent in meeting organizational goals. These positions usually report to a chief nursing officer and are required to exercise a broad-based knowledge of management and leadership techniques, as well as nursing operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans the nature, content and extent of nursing staff and administrative services/operations for achievement of both short and long-term objectives.
- Acts as a resource expert and mentor for Nurse Managers, Clinical Nursing Directors, and other equivalent positions; provides guidance, counseling, professional development, and advice on techniques of supervision, problem solving, policies, and fiscal and operating systems.
- Establishes the technical guidelines and framework with which nursing operations are carried out.
- Participates in strategic planning for the organization and for the nursing service.
- Controls the overall management of the organization's quality and clinical safety function including responsibility for the development of procedures, budget preparation, the direction of supervisory employees and participation in policy formulation.
- Determines the subordinate organizational structure, operations, methods and standards and makes adjustments consistent with changing objectives.
- Interprets and communicates nursing and organizational philosophy and objectives, Department policies and procedures, and applies recognized standards of nursing.
- Directs the preparation of budgets for assigned areas; integrates with organizational budget and defends budget and personnel resource requests.
- Establishes policy for determining program emphasis and operating guidelines for areas of responsibility, including setting goals.
- Participates in formulating policy, procedure, and standards for the organization and the nursing service.
- Directs, initiates and evaluates operational compliance with licensure, accreditation, and regulatory standards.
- Administers general personnel management matters and actions.
1. A Master's degree* in nursing - OR -
a Bachelor's degree* in nursing with a Master's degree* in administration or a related field from an accredited program.- AND -
2. Four years of experience within the last 10 years, in the management** of nursing operations, organization-wide programs or educational programs.-AND-
3. A current active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.***LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION INFORMATION
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
To compete in this examination process, applicants must have a license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing -OR-
have a license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by a State Government Board of Registered Nursing, within the United States of America.
Applicants who have a license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by a State Government Board of Registered Nursing, within the United States of America, will be withheld from the certification list pending receipt of the required license authorized by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Please ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must attach a copy of their registered nurse license from that state to the application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing. Applications submitted without the required evidence of licensure will be considered incomplete.
The original license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing must be presented during the selection process and/or prior to the appointment.***
The required licenseMUST
be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certification willNOT
be accepted.PHYSICAL CLASS II- Light
: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
*In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as a Bachelor's or Master's degree, you must include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization with your application,at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing
.**For this examination,management is defined as planning, organizing, staffing, budgeting, directing, and controlling the accomplishment of both short and long term objectives.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Additional experience in the management** of nursing operations, organization-wide programs or educational programs beyond the Selection Requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of two (2) parts:PART 1
- An evaluation ofeducation and experiencebased onthe application information, desirable qualifications and supplemental questionnaire, weighted 50%.PART 2
- An Appraisal of Promotability to evaluate interpersonal and oral communication skills, analytical and decision-making skills, knowledge and work skills, adaptability and dependability, and leadership, weighted 50%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70 percent of higher oneach weighted part of thisexamination in order to be placed on the eligible register.
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basisand those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligibleregister accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade on the examination will be placed on the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX, OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking the "APPLY" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.Falsification of any information may result in disqualification and/or rescindment of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Minimum/Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED
*In order to receivecredit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such asa Bachelor's degree or aMaster's degree,you must include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization with your application, at the time of filing, or within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned.If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.NOTE:
If you are unable to attachdocuments to your application, you must email the documents tothe Exam Analyst, Christina Roy at CRoy@dhs.lacounty.govwithin 15 calendar days of filing online
. Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR:
(323) 914-7124CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Christina Roy, Exam Analyst