***Updated, extended deadline and updated Salary***This recruitment will remain open for a total of 6 MONTHS. Thenext application review will consist of all applications received from 12:01 AMTuesday, June 4th, 2019 through 11:59 PMFriday July 5th, 2019.If you are notified that you have been placed on the eligible list, you do NOT need to reapply and will remain on the list. The Bureau:
The Bureau of Human Resources is dedicated to working collaboratively with our City partners to maximize the potential of our greatest asset - our employees. We embrace change and the opportunity it brings. We are focused on delivering quality customer service and are committed to recruiting, developing, rewarding and retaining our workforce. The Role:
As an HR Business Partner at the City of Portland, you'll be a champion of the City's culture, partnering with bureau leaders to help them build their organizations and improve the quality of their people decisions. Whether coaching clients on how to better lead their teams, navigating and resolving employee and labor relations issues or providing guidance on the most complex and sensitive people problems, you are exceptionally focused on enabling organizational and employee success at the City.
The Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP), is a senior-level human resources role within our bureau. HRBPs provide consultation by providing direct client support services to senior-level bureau management and performing a wide variety of difficult and complex human resource generalist responsibilities in support of the City's human resource management programs.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Providing training and coaching to Bureau/Office management regarding assessing, coaching, counseling, and developing employees; providing guidance to managers and supervisors on recognizing and rewarding performance; coaching and counseling managers, supervisors, and employees on resolving workplace issues; providing information about career development opportunities.
- Conducting a variety of investigations on confidential and sensitive HR matters; reviewing complaints and determining appropriate investigative approaches and methodologies; performing fact-finding activities, developing interview questions; writing reports; presenting findings to management.
- Advising assigned Bureau/Office management and making recommendations on HR issues, employee relations practices, discipline and corrective action; providing advice and guidance to ensure Bureaus/Offices comply with federal and state employment laws, rules, and policies, City code, policies, procedures, requirements, and goals.
- Guiding management and employees on the interpretation and administration of collective bargaining agreements; providing input into labor/management issues for collective bargaining purposes; participating in negotiations; participating in grievance resolution processes on behalf of Bureau/Office management; consulting with labor relations staff on interpretation and intent of collective bargaining contract language.
This position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, experience working in a unionized environment, the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels of the organization, and the expectation that responsibilities are carried out independently and with an awareness of human resource services issues and sensitivities. Depending on the assignment, successful candidates may be required to undergo an extensive background investigation. ( NOTE : The resulting eligible list may be used to fill future vacancies.) WHY JOIN THE CITY OF PORTLAND?
The City of Portland is committed to offering medical, dental, vision, basic life, and long-term disability coverage that provides quality care, support and value to eligible employees and their family members. Additional benefits such as flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance, and employee assistance program coverage are available to ensure employees have the appropriate tools to safeguard themselves and their family. The City of Portland participates in PERS, the Oregon Public Employee Retirement System. For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please clickBenefits Information | The City of Portland, Oregon
.To Qualify The following minimum qualifications are required for this position and should be reflected in your resume and answers to the supplemental questions:
1. Knowledge and experience applying the principles, practices and techniques of Human Resources administration. Examples include labor and employee relations, training, employee discipline and performance management, organizational development and workforce planning, recruitment and selection, classification, compensation, EEO/affirmative action.
2. Knowledge and experience applying federal, state and local laws, regulations and court decisions applicable to areas of assigned responsibilities.
3. Ability and experience communicating effectively orally and in writing, including preparing clear, concise, accurate and persuasive reports, correspondence, analytical studies and other written materials, presenting proposals and recommendations clearly and logically and providing employee training.
4. Experience conducting formal investigations, gathering relevant information, analyzing problems, evaluating alternatives, and making appropriate recommendations.
5. Experience understanding, interpreting, and applying administrative rules, laws, regulations and labor agreements.
6. Any combination of education and experience that is equivalent to the following minimum qualifications is acceptable:
Education/Training: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in HR management, business administration, public administration or a related field;
Experience: Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in the development and delivery of HR services. For positions located in the Portland Police Bureau, applicants must also possess the ability to successfully pass an in-depth background investigation. The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested.
Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.Additional Information Application InstructionsApplicants must submit a professional resume online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your resumeand answers to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, trainingand/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects yourqualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" sectionof this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- Ifyou are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describein your answers any transferrable skills obtained during your militaryservice and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualificationsunder the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later thanthe closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted
. If you are requesting Veteran's Preference
, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran's Administration Letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named belowNo Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement. Questions?
TerrolJohnson, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
(503) 823-3172 An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Closing Date/Time: 8/2/2019 11:59 PM Pacific