TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityEXAM NUMBER:
PH5125A APPLICATION FILING PERIOD:
February 14, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service
are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.DEFINITION:
Provides technical and administrative direction to staff performing reviews of records and clinical practices for individuals with substance use disorder services.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
This position has the responsibility of providing support to the Associate Medical Director of Treatment Services of the Clinical Services and Analytics Branch and supervise a team of nurses within the Quality Improvement & Utilization Management (QI & UM) Unit. The QI & UM Unit is responsible for reviewing and authorizing substance use disorder services that are delivered within the DrugMedi-Calsystem overseen by Substance Abuse Prevention and Control Program (SAPC.) The Utilization Review Nurse Supervisor I position will not be providing direct clinical care.
Essential Job Functions
- Participates with the Physician, M.D. on routine audit, special studies, and critical reviews of medical records and clinical practices for individuals with Substance Use Disorders. Reviews treatment plans and medical records based on clinical expertise and knowledge garnered from various respected organizations and groups including but not limited to the National Quality Forum, National Voluntary Consensus Standards for the Treatment of Substance Use Conditions, National Committee for Quality Assurance, Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Participates in the review and critical analysis of client health disparities, sentinel events, client safety net reports, and assesses for appropriateness and thoroughness based on departmental policies, clinical care standards, laws and regulations, and recommends methods of achieving compliance and improvement of client care. Provides technical assistance to contract providers and Antelope Valley Rehabilitation Center (AVRC) in conducting root case analysis, including presentation to SAPC management for critical analysis, and providing feedback and recommendations relating to accuracy and completeness of the analysis.
- Participates in the implementation of a Performance Management Program, including but not limited to a Quality Improvement and Utilization Management Program, as well as a Clinical Standards and Training Program, which requires the collection and review of data. Participates in the SAPC Quality Improvement related committees as they are formed and implemented.
- Conducts research on the latest findings from studies and prepares reports to management recommending adoption of evidence-based and best practices for promoting good health practices and controlling/preventing the spread of illness and injuries in the context of community-based integrated care. Develop strategies to implement processes informed by findings from research reports.
- Develops collaborative partnerships with various federal, State, County, municipal, and other public, private, and community-based agencies as a means for SAPC to identify and address community trends, emerging needs, and gaps in SAPC integration plans.
- Participates with the Physician, M.D. on projects, research, analysis, and provides reports of findings.
- Attends meetings with SAPC management, community-based organizations, contracted providers, and others as requested on health care practices on comprehensive integrated care.
- Supervises a team of nurses.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:OPTION I:
A current and active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.*
One years' full-time** work experience performing the duties of a Utilization Review Nurse.***
***In the County of Los Angeles, a Utilization Review Nurse is defined asa Registered Nurse (RN) that has Case Management experience whose primary charge is to ensure that the care provided to patients is appropriate and covered by the insurance payer. They are responsible for ensuring that patient services are cost-effective and their stay is at the appropriate level of care and length of stay.OPTION II:
A current and active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.*
One years' full-time** work experience performing the duties of aMedical Service Coordinator, CCS.****
****In the County of Los Angeles class of Medical Service Coordinator, CCS is defined as a Registered Nurse who determines medical eligibility of children referred to California Children Services and approves and coordinates treatment services for children accepted under the program.OPTION III:
A current, active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.*
Two years' full-time** work experience as a registered nurse, including one year in the treatment of chronic and short- term medical and surgical inpatient problems, and one year experience in the first-level supervision of nurses, including registered nurses.PHYSICAL CLASS:2- Light
: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.LICENSE(S) REQUIRED:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- *A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Applicant's must ensure the License Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
- A current, active certification in accordance with the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.Applicants MUST attach a legible photocopy of the required BLScertification to their application at the time of filing or e-mail the document to email@example.com within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. Applications submitted without the required evidence ofBLScertification will be rejected.
** Full-time work experience will be evaluated on the basis of a verifiable 36-hour work week.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
The experience listed below must be full-time work experience beyond the Selection Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree***** or higher from an accredited college or university in Nursing.
- Experience with utilization review/utilization management.
- Supervisory experience managing staff.
- Experience with behavioralhealth conditions, particularly substance use disorders.
In order to receive credit for any college or universitydegree, such as Bachelor's Degree or higher, youmust include a legible copy
of the Official Diploma, Official Transcript(s)
, or Official Letter from the accredited institution (which shows the area of specialization and the date the degree was awarded) with Registrar's signature and school seal,withyour application online at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to firstname.lastname@example.org .Official Transcript
is defined as a transcript that bears the college seal and states "official and/or copy" issued by the school's Registrar Office.Aprintout
of the transcript from the school's website is NOT considered official and, therefore, it will NOT be accepted and will result in your application beingREJECTED as INCOMPLETE
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an Evaluation of Education and Experience based on application information, desirable qualifications, and Supplemental Questionnaire at the time of filingweighted 100%Candidates must meet theSelection Requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added to the Eligible Register.
Notifications may be sent electronically to the e-mail address provided on the application. It is important that candidates provide a valid e-mail address. Please add email@example.com to your e-mail address book and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk mail.Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment.
Non-Acceptance and Final Results letterswill be sent viaUnited States Postal Service (USPS). Examination scores cannot be given over the phone or by e-mail.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the promulgation date.NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS
Complete applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and added to the Eligible Register accordingly.VACANCY INFORMATION:
The EligibleRegister resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filedONLINE ONLY
. Applications submitted by mail, fax, or in person willNOT
be accepted. Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be submitted with your complete application online by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing, or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Apply online by clicking on the green"Apply"
button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you haveclearly
shown that you meet theSELECTION REQUIREMENTS
.Please fill out the application and Supplemental Questionnaire accurately and completely to receive full credit for any relevant education and/or job experience you include.In the space provided on the application for education, including names and addresses of schools attended, dates attended, degree received, and degree major. For each job held, indicate the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, beginning and ending work/employment dates, the number of hours worked per week, and description of work and duties performed. If your application and/or Supplemental Questionnaire is/are INCOMPLETE, the application will be REJECTED
If you are unable to attach the required documents with your application online, you must
e-mail them to email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission.In the "Subject" of the e-mail pleasetype the Exam Number and Exam Title.
Failure to provide complete, accurateinformation willimpact the assessment of your qualifications and the acceptance of your application into the examination process.IMPORTANT NOTES:
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
- Please note thatALLinformation supplied by applicants andincluded in the application materials is subject toVERIFICATIONat any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.
- FALSIFICATIONof any information may result inDISQUALIFICATIONorRESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- UtilizingVERBIAGEfrom Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of dutiesWILL NOTbe sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. In doing so, your application will be REJECTED as INCOMPLETE.
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password.Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes in the format XXX-XX-XXXX.
Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
Fair Chance Initiative
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922
ADA Coordinator Phone: (323) 914-8505
Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099
Alternate Teletype Phone: (800) 897-0077
Department Contact Name: Monica Fong
Department Contact Phone: (323) 914-8488
Department Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org