About Our Job
Denver International Airport (DEN) is the 20th-busiest airport in the world and the 5th-busiest airport in the United States, serving more than 64 million passengers in 2018 and generating more than $26 billion for the region annually. In 2018, the Wall Street Journal named DEN the best large airport in the country. DEN is owned by the City and County of Denver, operated by the City's Department of Aviation, and represented by the City Attorney's Office.
DEN Legal provides full service legal representation and advice to City and Airport officials with respect to the operation, development and growth of the Airport. DEN Legal's representation includes client counseling, contract drafting and negotiation, litigation and compliance. DEN Legal attorneys practice in the areas of airport law, government procurement and contracting, municipal finance, real estate and commercial transactions, environmental, public safety, technologies and myriad additional legal areas related to the governance and operation of a large transportation infrastructure asset.
The City Attorney is looking for an Assistant City Attorney, Senior to join DEN Legal, the Airport's law department. We are currently seeking a senior-level attorney to assist the Section and the Airport on matters concerning commercial contracting, concessions, public safety and security, and other airport-related matters.
The Denver City Attorney's Office
is one of the largest law firms in Colorado, with over 230 attorneys and staff members comprised of paralegals, victim advocates, and other support and supervisory staff members. It may have the most diverse practice of any law firm in Colorado. Clients include the Mayor; the Auditor; the Clerk and Recorder; City Council; and all city agencies, departments, offices, boards, commissions and authorities. The City Attorney's Office is dedicated to providing an inclusive and diverse work environment in which every person has the opportunity to achieve the highest professional and personal development and is accorded the highest degree of dignity and respect.
As a Senior Attorney, you can expect to:
- Prepare administrative hearings and complex cases for trial, develop motions and discovery documents, and represent the City in those proceedings as well as corresponding appellate briefing and argument
- Negotiate and prepare contracts, ordinances, leases, deeds and licenses, and other legal documents
- Draft memoranda, motions, briefs and pleadings to be filed in judicial or quasi-judicial proceedings
- Conduct or provide feedback with legal research
- Assist attorneys working in specialized areas with research and related activities
- Assist subordinate attorneys with legal counseling activities, issues and procedures
- Provide City and Airport officers and employees with counsel and advice and formal legal opinions on complex matters, in specialized legal areas
- Any one position may not include all of the duties listed. However, the allocation of positions will be determined by the amount of time spent in performing the essential duties listed above.
While the full pay range of this Job Classification is $118,732 - $189,971, our target hiring salary for this position is between $118,732 and $154,352, depending on education, experience and qualifications. This position does not have a close date, we will be accepting applications and dispositioning candidates throughout the posting period. About You
The ideal candidate will have one or more of the following skills and experience:
- Experience in airport and/or transportation law
- Experience with construction contracting
- Experience in commercial transactions, including concessions, food and beverage or retail businesses
- Experience in the US DOT Airport Concession Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (ACDBE) Program
- Experience in public safety and security
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Doctor of Jurisprudence degree or Bachelor of Laws degree.
- Experience: Three years of experience as an attorney at law.
- Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
- Licensures/Certification(s): Possession of a license to practice law in Colorado from the Colorado Supreme Court at the time of application or possession of license from U.S. states that have a reciprocity agreement with the state of Colorado, excluding the following states: California, Delaware, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, Rhode Island, and South Carolina. The preceding list of non-reciprocal admission jurisdictions is intended to be used only as a guide, as rules and regulations of every jurisdiction are subject to change at any time. Positions with the Denver City Attorney's Office are dependent upon the rules and regulations in place at the time of application and subsequent hiring. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
FBI Background Check: FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony convictions and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance and be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.
Pre-employment Screening: An offer of employment is contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by law and City and County of Denver policies, including the successful completion of a background check. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and other verification's required for the position which may include, but are not limited to, employment and/or education verification, motor vehicle record check, drug test, and/or physical. The existence of a conviction does not automatically disqualify an individual from employment except where federal or state law or regulations prohibit employment of an individual with certain convictions.About Everything Else
CL0357 Assistant City Attorney Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Pay Range $118,732.00 - $189,971.00
City Attorney's Office
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here