COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES PROBATION DEPARTMENT
EXAM NUMBER: F8974B
FIRST DAY OF FILING:MARCH 26, 2019AT 8:00 AMFILING DATE:
MARCH 26, 2019- UNTIL THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE ARE MET AND IS SUBJECT TO CLOSURE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICETYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityDEFINITION:
Has principal responsibility for planning, developing and implementing research projects designed to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of department services, and to contribute to program policy decisions.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, initiates and develops studies of department operations.
- Consults and advises on both existing and proposed research projects and incorporates methods of evaluation necessary for measures of effectiveness.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with County departments, other government agencies and community agencies regarding research activities.
- Conceives, develops and promotes special research projects; negotiates with funding agencies for financial support.
- Evaluates information secured through studies and consultations and recommends new and revised programs.
- Develops and recommends standards for evaluating programs and for preparing research reports.
- Participates in policy discussions based on research studies and data compiled.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENT:
A Ph.D. or other doctoral degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in a field of the behavioral or social sciences* - AND - Two years' full-time post doctorate research experience including responsibility for the design, evaluation and implementation of research projects in a behavioral or social science field.PHYSICAL CLASS:
2 - Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- Proficiency inspecialized statisticalresearch softwaresuch asSAS, SPSS, ArcGIS, and GIS.
- Experience planning, developing, and maintaining research, data and related databases and systems.
- Research experience working with qualitative and quantitative methods, trend data, cross-sectional data, conducting predictive analytics, and utilizing research data and management techniques.
- Published research in peer review publications related to public administration, behavioral sciences or social science.
- Experience conducting literature reviews to contextualize the current knowledge and methodologies of a topic and provide a critical evaluation using multiple sources such as online journal databases, Federal/Local government websites and other internet sources.
- Thorough knowledge ofsurvey and administrative data sources from a variety of fields.
- Strong ability to contextualize and present data in compelling graphics for Department staff, community stakeholders, and decision-makers.
- Expertise in designing and conducting complex research projects focusing on community engagement and policy analysis.
- Expertise in evaluating juvenile and adult justice systems and/or community driven programs.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with external agencies and partners (e.g. Universities, Colleges, RAND Corp.) to develop a research agenda.
- Experience in developing relationships with other agencies and providers to assure access and linkages to external data systems for data collection and evaluation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong ability to prioritize multiple assignments, supervise and manage the work of a team of researchers, work proactively and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
*In order to receive credit for any degree, such as aPh.D or other doctoral degree, you must indicate on the job application and attach a legible copy of the official diploma or official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization and degreeawardedwith Registrar's signature and/or school seal with your application at the time of filing, or within 15 calendar days ofonline application submission oryour application may be rejected.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of TWO(2) parts:Part I:
Evaluation of Experience based on application information and Supplemental Questionnaire, weighted 50%.
Candidates who do not achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the Evaluation of Experiencewill be notified by mail and will not proceed to Part II of this examination. SCORES CANNOT BE GIVEN OVER THE PHONE.Part II:
A Structured Interview covering training, experience, and general abilityto perform the duties of the position, weighted 50%.
Candidates who do not achieve a passing score on theStructured Interviewwill be notified by mail. SCORES CANNOT BE GIVEN OVER THE PHONE.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted test part in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed
FINGERPRINTING AND SECURITY CLEARANCE
A thorough background investigation will be conducted prior to appointment.Any false statement or omission of material fact may cause forfeiture of employment rights. Information presented on the employment application, resume, and during the examination process is subject to verification.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
Copies of supporting documentation of selection requirements and qualifications, including relevant research experience, such as research projects, peer review publications, research papers, including published research project(s) may be requested for review at any point of the recruitment process and subject to verification and rejection of application.
Candidates who are found unsuitable for employment will be removed from the eligible register pursuant to Civil Service Rule 6.04.
All applicants must enter a current/updated EMAIL
address at the time of filing as NOTICES MAY BE SENT BY EMAIL OR MAIL.
Entering an invalid mailing/email address may result in the rejection of your application during the examination process. To update information, applicants must make changes to their profile at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty .VACANCY INFORMATION
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies located in the Los Angeles County Probation Department.AVAILABLE SHIFT
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Applications must be filed online via NEOGOV electronic submission ONLY. Applications submitted by US Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
To apply for this examination, click on the "Apply
" button located on this posting. Your application must be submitted electronically by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing. Visit the NEOGOV website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty .
Applicants may upload required or additional documents (i.e. copy of degree, certification, etc.) as attachment(s) at the time of filing. If you are unable to attach the required and/or additional documents at the time of filing, you may email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 15 calendar days ofonline application submission oryour application may be rejected. Please include your name, examination number, and examination title on the email.
Fill out your application completely. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. All information is subject to verification. This exam may close at any time without prior notice. We may reject your application at any time during the selection process.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES: For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD: All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record and will result in an automatic rejection of your application.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have CLEARLY shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS. Please fill out the application completely and correctly to receive full credit for any related education, training, and job experience. In the space provided for education, include the names and addresses of schools attended, titles of courses completed, date completed, and number of credit and/or certificates earned. All information and records are subject to verification. Applications may be rejected at any stage of the selection process.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE COMPLETE INFORMATION INCLUDING THE NAME(S) AND ADDRESS/ES OF YOUR EMPLOYER(S), YOUR JOB TITLE(S); BEGINNING AND ENDING DATES; THE FUNCTIONS PERFORMED INCLUDING A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR ROLE, LEVEL OF INVOLVEMENT, INDEPENDENCE, AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE SIZE OF YOUR ORGANIZATION, COMPLEXITY AND LEVEL OF ACCOUNTABILITY RELATED TO YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND ACCEPTANCE INTO THE EXAMINATION PROCESS.Department Contact Name:
Probation Examinations & Recruitment Unit, Non-Sworn ExamsDepartment Contact Number:
(562) 940-2659Department Contact Email:
email@example.com California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922ADA Coordinator Phone:
(562) 940-3764Teletype Phone: