POLICE COMMUNICATIONS DISPATCHER LATERAL OR TRAINEE $5,232 - $6,677 per month (Lateral) $4,184 - $5,341 per month (Trainee) Plus excellent benefits Pay Incentives: Shift differential (3% Swing, 5% Nights) P.O.S.T. Certificate Pay (3% Public Safety Dispatcher, 5% Records Supervisor) Bilingual Pay (2.5% Conversational, 5% Full, 10% Expert) Additional Specialty Pays: CTO (5%), HNT (1%), CSI (1%) DEADLINE TO APPLY: OPEN UNTIL FILLED (Apply by Monday, April 15, 2019 for first consideration) THE POSITION:
The City of San Rafael Police Department is recruiting for a full-time, Lateral or Trainee Police Communications Dispatcher. This is a specialized police civilian classification and performs all duties required to effectively dispatch police services including operating police radio communication equipment to communicate with the public and police. Receives, interprets, and transmits information essential to the delivery of emergency and non-emergency police services. This position performs the following essential job duties:
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Monitors local emergency services radio transmissions; maintains contact and monitors status of field units; monitors the county mutual aid channel.
- Responds to emergency phone lines, including calls to and from fire department, alarm companies, and tow companies.
- Prioritizes needs of difficult callers, including hysterical victims, incoherent persons and suicidal subjects; assesses and evaluates emergency situations.
- Enters calls for service information into the CAD system, including type, location, nature and description of event; enters all field unit transmissions.
- Enters information into automated systems, including temporary warrants, missing persons, property, stolen vehicles, domestic violence restraining orders and firearms; searches various databases and automated systems in response to information requests.
- Performs a variety of clerical duties, including photocopying, completing forms and maintaining records; receives and responds to document requests for warrants and DMV printouts.
- Operates a variety of specialized equipment related to dispatch work.
- Answers front office non-emergency lines after hours.
- Informs on-duty shift Sergeant of street activity and pending calls for service.
- May train and evaluate new employees.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- CAD procedures
- Police dispatch radio and phone equipment
- City and Department policies and procedures
- Information technology, personal computers and related software applications
- City geography and beat structure
- Use of reference maps and code manuals
- Civil and criminal codes
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Operate a variety of police specific and general office equipment
- Accurately dispatch personnel and equipment
- Speak and think clearly in emergency situations
- Listen and ascertain relevant information quickly and accurately
- Understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the public
- Classify and prioritize service requests
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with the public and fellow employees
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- One (1) year experience in public safety work or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Lateral Applicants: Minimum one year of actual working experience in a Law Enforcement or Public Safety environment. No written or other pre-screening required.
- Entry Level Applicants (with or without Dispatch Academy): CritiCall (see attached overview).
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively to the public and police personnel in emergency and high stress situations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to video display and regularly works in evenings or weekends. The employee occasionally works in inside environmental conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: City of San Rafael application is required
. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: application appraisal and oral board examination. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must bass a pre-employment physical, background check, reference check, driving record, drug screen and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org
. Select "Member Agencies". Select "San Rafael". For more information about the City of San Rafael, please visit our website at www.cityofsanrafael.org
. Prior to submitting your application, please complete the following steps:
To apply, follow this link: Reasonable Accommodation:
- For Entry Level Police Communications candidates, you must take the CritiCall test at the South Bay Regional Training Consortium in San Jose. These exams are held monthly. More information can be found on their website at www.theacademy.ca.gov. Click on the Assessment Testing tab and then locate the CritiCall Dispatch Test link. The current fee to take the exam is $75 and this must be paid by you, the applicant.
- Once you have taken the exam and passed, then you may proceed by applying to the position.
The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 at least seven (7) days before the oral board date.
Job PDF: Police Communications Dispatcher Job Announcement.pdf
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $50,208 - $ 80,124 Annually, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement:The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2.7% @ at 55 formula, highest single year of compensation.
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or Classic employee with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2.7% at 57 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance:Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $758.08; Employee+1 - $1,517.19 Employee+Family - $1,972.45; Waive Coverage $634.57)
- Life Insurance/Accidental Death & Dismemberment:$5,000 each
- Dental Insurance:Fully paid premium
- Vision Insurance:Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp: Employee option
- Annual Leave:Vacation ranges from 10 to 25 days (depending on years of service), 12 days of Sick Leave, 13 Holidays.
- And more......
Contact email: email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Until filled