Y5295X FILING START DATE:
March 6, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Departmental Promotional Job Opportunity RESTRICTED TO PERMANENT EMPLOYEES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THEIR INITIAL PROBATIONARY PERIOD. JOB OPPORTUNITY INFORMATION:
Current employees in the unclassified service who meet the following criteria also qualify to participate in this exam: Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service; Full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service at the time of filing or by the last day of filing.DEFINITION:
Under general direction, administers an organizational area which has functional impact on the management and/or operations of departments across the nursing or health care operation, such as the development of policy, application of procedures and provision of services which broadly affect or control the management and operations of all departments and divisions within the nursing or health care operation.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, selects and devises nursing administrative methods, procedures, work flow and standards for quality and quantity of work, including staffing standards.
- Interprets and directs the implementation of nursing philosophy and objectives, Department policies and procedures, and applies recognized standards of nursing care.
- Assigns, directs and reviews the work of subordinate supervisors and/or other employees.
- Advises nursing managers and other nursing executives on management, administrative or technical procedures and techniques.
- Determines personnel, material, equipment and additional resources needed to accomplish program goals.
- Assists in monitoring pertinent operational compliance concerning licensure, accreditation and regulatory standards, and recommends changes as needed.
- Serves as the senior nursing executive in a large operation on the night or evening shift.
- Prepares budget for assigned area, and is responsible for adherence to approved budget.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
1. A Master's degree* in Nursing or Administration and two years of experience****** in nursing administration**.-OR-
2. ABachelor's degree* in Nursing and three years ofexperience****** as a Registered Nurse providing direct patient care.-OR-
3. A Bachelor's degree* in Nursingwith a Master's degree* in Nursing and two years ofexperience******* as a Registered Nurse providing direct patient care.
One year of experience****** in nursing research*** or nursing administration** maybe substituted for one year of the required Registered Nurse experience providing direct patient care.-AND-
A current active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.****-AND-
A current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.*****LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver's License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS II- Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasionallight lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
* In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as a Bachelor's degree or higher, you must include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization with your application, at the time of filing, or within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online.**For this examination, nursing administration is defined as providing administrative direction and support for an organization area that has functional impact on the management and operations of department(s) and division(s) within the nursing or healthcare operation.
***For this examination, nursing research is defined as collecting data and resources to help develop, refine and expand the quality of methods and programs of patients or program needs.License and Certification Information:
****To compete in this examination process, applicants must have a license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Applicants claiming experiencein a state other than California mustprovide their registered nurse license number from that state on theapplicationat the time of filing. Out-of-state experience provided on the application without the required license number will not be considered.
Please ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Requirements.
The original license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing and BLS certification must be presented during the selection process and/or prior to appointment.The required license and certification MUST be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certification will NOT be accepted.
Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their BLS certification and RN license to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. Applications submitted without the requiredevidence of BLS certification will be rejected
.******Applicants MUST meet the experience in the Selection Requirements at the time of filing.No withhold is allowed for this examination.No out-of-classor verification of experience letter will be accepted.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Additional credits will be given to applicants who possess the following:
- Additional experience in excess of the Selection Requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
The examination will consist of two (2) parts:Part I:
An evaluation of education and experience based upon application information and desirable qualificationsweighted50%.Part II:
An Appraisal of Promotability which will measure Interpersonal and Oral Communication Comprehension, Analytical and Decision Making Ability, Knowledge and Work Skills, Adaptability and Dependability, and Leadershipweighted 50%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part of this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and the names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.No person may compete for this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies within the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION;
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the "APPLY" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
Fill out your application and supplemental application questions completely. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected
Utilizing verbiage from class specifications and selection requirements serving as your description of duties will not be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the selection requirements. Doing so may result in an incomplete application and you may be disqualified. Please note that the Department requires applicants to show that they perform the specified duties listed on the posted requirements as their principle work activity. It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three elements: ACTION
you took, the CONTEXT
in which you took that action, and the BENEFIT
that was realized from your action. Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you may email the documents to Oscar Ramirezat ORamirez@dhs.lacounty.gov within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Social Security number is for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a social security number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
323-914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE