Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program. Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2018 current employee cost $143.93 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents. Pay Rate
(AFSCME Pay Band G): $109,163.60 (Minimum) to $141,912.67 (Maximum) Posted Date
9/24/2018 Closing Date
Open Until Further Notice Reports To
Jonathan Rossen Days Off
Saturday and Sunday Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees. Current Assignment
The District Industrial Hygienist provides technical expertise and leadership to achieve compliance with environmental health and safety regulations and District standards. Current assignment includes (1) Development and revision of health and safety policies and procedures. (2) Evaluation of exposures to hazardous chemicals and noise. (3) Collection of material samples to determine if hazardous material abatement is needed to conduct maintenance operations and preparation of reports and instructions. (4)Development of control strategies. (5) Investigation of employee and patron accidents, incidents, complaints and preparation of written reports of findings. (6) Evaluation of compliance with programs and regulations to facilitate continuous improvement. (7) Trains employees. (8) Assists in development and refinement of high voltage electrical safety procedures. (9) Conducts audits of various facilities and operations, prepares written reports of findings. (10) Serves as technical advisor to department management and others regarding storage and use of hazardous materials at District facilities. (11) Selects and evaluates PPE used by employees. (12) Develops and updates written safety programs and procedures.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate above and beyond the minimum qualifications
1. Good communication skills
2. Technical expertise in industrial hygiene
3. Ability to analyze complex situations and problems and exercise sound judgment
4. Physical ability to respond to and investigate incidents that occur at all hours and in inclement weather.
5. Ability to work independently Essential Job Functions
- Performs complex projects to evaluate employee and patron exposures to hazardous chemical, physical agents and noise. Develops and implements programs to control hazardous exposure. Conducts audits to evaluate the effectiveness of these programs. Drafts final reports which must be capable of standing up to legal and/or labor scrutiny.
- Initiates projects to improve the safety of District personnel and to prevent harmful exposures that could result in occupational illnesses. Trains employees on health and safety topics
- Develops, implements and utilizes databases to track and publish pertinent health and safety information.
- Evaluates construction contractor health and safety programs. Recommends improvements as needed.
- Conducts studies to evaluate employee exposure to ergonomic hazards and suggests control measures and work station improvements where applicable.
- Conducts health and safety audits and inspections at District facilities. Communicates findings to responsible persons.
- Evaluates District procedures for use, labeling and storage of chemicals in compliance with BART, local, state, and federal regulations.
- Provides support and expertise in the process of evaluating material safety data sheets (MSDS).
- Administers and manages District Respiratory Protection Program, Confined Space Entry Program, Hazard Communication Program and other environmental health and safety programs as assigned.
- Evaluates the use of respiratory protective devices in the District and makes recommendations for improvements as needed.
- Recommends and assists in the evaluation and implementation of ventilation controls. Develops intervention strategies and implements exposure reduction solutions.
- Performs various industrial hygiene field measurements and tasks with a high degree of proficiency.
- Initiates emergency response procedures as needed.
- Monitors and inspects facility operations, processes and practices to identify and prevent unsafe conditions and provide the information to management for appropriate action.
- Produces and distributes District Wide publication on safety related subject matter.
- Makes quality presentations to all levels in the organization.
A Bachelors degree in industrial hygiene, biology, chemistry, physics, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
Four (4) years of (full-time equivalent) verifiable professional experience as an industrial hygienist.
ABIH certification in the comprehensive practice of industrial hygiene or the equivalent. Must possess a valid California Driver's License (Class C) and have a satisfactory driving record.
Must have the physical capability to use a personal computer for extended periods.
Must be able to conduct audits, inspections and investigations at various locations and facilities throughout the District during all operating shifts.
Must be willing to work underground and in unpleasant conditions and such work may expose the industrial hygienist to various health and safety hazards.
Must be able to work while wearing respiratory protection in accordance with the District Respirator Program. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
Must be able to ascend and descend ladders. Selection Process
This position is represented by American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and/or an individual or panel interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S.; pass a pre-employment medical examination which includes a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations)
The selection process for this position will be in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement. Application Process
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement. Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs. Other Information
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request. Note
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at email@example.com for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.