Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program.
Rolling Stock & Shops
Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2019 current employee cost $147.14 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents.
$109,929.00 / annually - $170,391.00 / annually (Non-Represented Pay Band 08)
March 19, 2019
Open Until Further Notice
Initial Screening starting on Friday, 4/05/19.
Group Manager, Production Support
Saturday and Sunday
Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees.
Under the direction of the Group Manager, Production Support for Rolling Stock and Shops, the Principal Reliability Engineer will be primarily responsible for conducting ongoing monitoring and analysis of rail car performance and failure data, as well as creating reliability benchmarks. The Principal Reliability Engineer will ensure that the legacy fleet of rail cars' reliability continues to meet District requirements for the remainder of its service life. This position will provide critical data analysis and information that drive rail car performance and process improvements by providing patterns of reliability issues, providing real time data for decision making and allowing for intelligent planning of maintenance, modifications and use of resources. The Principal Reliability Engineer will also present formal findings and conclusions to senior management and stakeholders, provide complex administrative support to the Group Manager, Production Support; and perform related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following education/skills/experience beyond the minimum qualifications:
· Demonstrated understanding of Reliability Centered Maintenance
· Experience in creating and using databases (tables, queries, reports)
· Skills in analyzing electrical and mechanical system reliability performance
· Excellent communication skills, including the ability to make clear presentations, produce concise technical and administrative reports, and explain complex/technical issues to BART management and leaders.
· Working knowledge of Maximo or similar computerized maintenance management systems
· Skills in defining appropriate reliability key performance measures and recommending effective methodologies for data collection, analysis and reporting
· Familiarity with full life cycle maintenance practices for electrical and mechanical systems and components
Essential Job Functions
1. Plans, prioritizes, assigns, supervises, reviews and participates in the work of staff responsible for analyzing and documenting system performance and equipment reliability testing.
2. Establishes schedules and methods for providing reliability engineering services; identifies resource needs; reviews needs with appropriate management staff; allocates resources accordingly.
3. Participates in the development of policies and procedures; monitors work activities to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures; makes recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards and procedures.
4. Recommends and assists in the implementation of goals and objectives; implements approved policies and procedures.
5. Performs the most complex tasks of the work unit including the development and recommendation of alternative technologies to improve system performance.
6. Oversees equipment reliability analyses; defines current failure rates and trends; assesses impact of failures on system service; develops reliability improvements.
7. Monitors contractual warranty performance of high volume vehicles and wayside equipment.
8. Oversees system service reliability analyses; measures train and passenger on-time performance; determines causes of train delay; develops delay reduction or improved computer techniques for accurate on-time measurements.
9. Coordinates and participates in the preparation of reliability performance documents including system operations performance, reports, warranty demonstration tests and special reliability studies.
10. Participates in the selection of assigned staff; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline procedures.
11. Prepares analytical and statistical reports on operations and activities.
12 Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of reliability engineering.
13. Provides expert reliability engineering trial testimony and depositions as assigned.
A Bachelor's degree in engineering, physical sciences, mathematics, computer science or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Four (4) years of (full-time equivalent) verifiable reliability engineering experience including one (1) year administrative or lead supervisory experience. Transit system experience is preferred.
Additional professional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis. A college degree is preferred.
Office environment; exposure to computer screens.
May require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and a panel and/or individual interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S; pass a pre-employment medical examination which may include a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations).
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at email@example.com .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs.
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
Please note that any job announcement may be canceled at any time
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at email@example.com , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.