Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program. Department
The Maintenance and Engineering (M&E) Department has over 1500 employees who serve San Francisco Bay Area communities by providing safe and reliable infrastructure to enable on-time service. M&E Engineering leads over one hundred capital design & construction projects along with providing technical expertise for all infrastructure assets apart from rail vehicles. We focus on safety, reliability, and innovation to benefit passengers and employees so trains and projects can move swiftly every day. We hire field friendly talent who bring a high level of technical capability, accountability, and enthusiasm for continuous improvement. Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2019 current employee cost $147.14 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents. Other Requirements
Must possess sufficient physical mobility to inspect construction in progress or review other projects.
Must be willing to occasionally work off-hour shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) is preferred.
Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the state of California is preferred. Pay Rate
$121,196 Minimum / $154,526 Midpoint / $187,856 Maximum (Non-Represented PayBand 10)
The starting salary will be in the mid-range. Posted Date
March 5, 2019 Closing Date
Open Until Further Notice Reports To
Group Manager, Systems Engineering Days Off
Typically, Saturday and Sunday, but working variable shifts, including nights and weekends will be required Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees. Current Assignment
Incumbent in this position will lead a Fare Collection Engineering Division, and manage, motivate, and drive improvements with a staff of approximately 15 Engineers and project personnel. Incumbents in this position must demonstrate superior abilities in leadership, self-motivation, and technical acumen as well as have management experience, strong communication and organizational skills, and sound judgment.
The scope of the Fare Collection Engineering Division includes the development and modification of BART's facilities and systems such as:
- ticket vending/add fare machines, automatic fare gates, central displays, automatic fare collection, back office revenue support systems, parking revenue systems, external and internal websites, station ridership and revenue data gathering and other systems that support real-time train operations
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering with education and experience preferred in the Computer Systems branch of Engineering. Master's degree a plus. Must have a minimum of 10 years work experience in the field of Computer Systems Engineering, including at least 3 years of administrative and supervisory experience, and must demonstrate achievements in leadership and delivery of complex engineering design projects in an operating environment.
Candidate must also have demonstrated success in the following:
- Innovative and creative problem solving, data driven root cause analysis
- Risk based Asset Management
- Continuous improvement, Quality Control/Quality Assurance
Incumbents must have a willingness to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days at a time (in rotation with others), to work occasionally during overnight and weekend maintenance windows, and to work occasionally in noisy and dirty environments or in foul weather and near moving trains.
The ideal candidate will understand electrical, mechanical, physical, and mathematical principles applicable to BART control systems, and miscellaneous support systems and a keen interest in keeping up to date with emerging technology, developments, and trends in these areas.Ideal incumbents will demonstrate the following skills beyond the minimum qualifications:
- Strong experience with management of a comprehensive Computer Systems Engineering program.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to make clear presentations, produce concise technical and administrative reports, and explain complex/technical issues to BART management and leaders.
- Ability to select, train, develop, supervise, and motivate staff.
- Experience with managing the services of outside consultants.
- Planning, organizing, directing, reviewing, and evaluating the activities of professional staff and contract consultants on assigned engineering projects.
- Ability to establish performance measures and Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Experience in preparing and administrating group/program budgets and contracts.
- Ability to interpret and apply Federal, State and local policies, laws and regulations.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Participating in the development and administration of division goals, objectives and procedures.
- Developing engineering feasibility studies, plans, specifications, cost estimates, requests for proposals and bid documents for engineering projects.
- Analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of proposed actions and implementing recommendations in support of goals.
- Researching, analyzing and implementing new and innovative methods and techniques for maintenance, monitoring and equipment reliability.
- Clear and concise communication, both oral and in writing.
Comprehensive knowledge of:
Essential Job Functions
- Principles and practices of Reliability Centered Maintenance
- Principles and practices of project scheduling and management.
- Principles and practices of program development and administration.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Construction materials, methods and equipment used in traction power electrical engineering projects.
- Principles and practices of contract and construction management.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Related building codes, regulations, and provisions.
- Related Federal, State and local laws, codes, and regulations.
Minimum Qualifications Education :
- Assumes management responsibility for the activities and operations of the Fare Collection Engineering Division including ticket vending/add fare machines, automatic fare gates, back office revenue support systems, parking revenue systems, external and internal websites, ridership and revenue data gathering and other systems that support real-time train operations. Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
- Directs the preparation of conceptual plans, detailed systems design, architecture and cost estimates; coordinates and finalizes design concept review; coordinates all aspects of project implementation.
- Plans, directs, coordinates and reviews the work plan for fare collection engineering activities and staff; assigns work activities, projects and programs; reviews and evaluates work products, methods and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Oversees, prepares, administers and monitors fare collection engineering consultant contracts for assigned projects.
- Monitors developments and legislation related to assigned area of responsibility; evaluates impact upon district operations; recommends and implements equipment, practice and procedural improvements.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates fare collection engineering personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
- Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the division's annual budget; participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures; implements adjustments.
- Serves as the liaison for the fare collection engineering division with other divisions, departments and outside agencies; provides technical assistance to the legal department and serves as an expert witness; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Serves as staff on a variety of boards, commissions and committees; prepares and presents periodic and special reports regarding division activities to management staff or other departments and other necessary correspondence.
- Represents the District meetings with representatives of governmental agencies, transit and professional organizations and the public.
- Provides responsible staff assistance to the Group Manager, Systems Engineering.
- Directs the preparation of and approves final plans, specifications, cost estimates, requests for proposals and bid documents; conducts or directs analytical studies.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of computer systems engineering.
A Bachelor's degree in computer systems, electronics, electrical engineering or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. Experience :
Five (5) years of (full-time equivalent) verifiable professional computer systems engineering experience, which must have included at least two (2) years of administrative and supervisory experience. Other Requirements :
Must possess a valid California driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record. Substitution :
Additional professional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis. A college degree is preferred.WORKING CONDITIONSEnvironmental Conditions:
Office environment; exposure to computer screens; station environment; equipment room environment; wayside environment.Physical Conditions:
May require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time. Selection Process
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and a panel and/or individual interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S; pass a pre-employment medical examination which may include a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations). Application Process
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement. Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at email@example.com .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs. Other Information
Please note that any job announcement may be canceled at any time.
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request. Note
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at email@example.com , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.