Position Information Work in the beautiful Valley of the Moon and join the
Department of Health Services as a Part-Time or Extra-Help Staff Nurse II!
Starting salary up to $49.84/hour plus a cash allowance of $3.45/hour*
Weoffer expansive opportunities for growth and development, theability to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment thatprovides continuous training, education, and the satisfaction of knowing that you are working to betterour communities. You can alsolook forward to some excellent benefits*, including:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $600 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- County paid premium contribution to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
*Salary is negotiable within the established range. Benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. Additional information can found in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 1021 Memorandum of Understanding .
The County of Sonoma Department of Health Services is seeking dedicated, California-licensed Registered Nurses for part-time and extra-help Staff Nurse II positions in theJuvenile Institutions Health Program at Juvenile Hall.Located in the Juvenile Justice Center, Juvenile Hall is a locked, residential detention facility with a bed capacity of 140. The state-of-the art facility sits at the entrance of the Valley of the Moon in the beautiful hills of Mount Hood. In Juvenile Hall, a multi-disciplinary team of health professionals from Public Health and Behavioral Health provides incarcerated minors with a broad range of health services.
Along with performing general registered nursing functions, the Staff Nurse II will perform specific medical functions, including assessments and treatments. This position must work harmoniously in a multi-cultural setting and within the security guidelines of the facility. The ideal candidate will possess:
- Some experience providing nursing care in a detention setting to an incarcerated population
- Experience providing services to incarcerated minors including immunization administration, care coordination with other providers, as well as assessments and treatments according to standardized procedures for RNs
- The ability to observe, assess, and report both physical and emotional symptoms and conditions of patients
- An aptitude for working with minors and parents/guardians sympathetically and tactfully
- The ability to work all shifts, including days, evenings, nights, and weekends
This employment list may also be used to fill future part-time or extra-help positions as they occur during the active status of this list. Extra Help Positions
Extra-help employees relieve or augment permanent staff. Intermittent, extra-help employees are not in the classified civil service and do not have property rights to permanently allocated positions. In addition, they do not receive most regular employee benefits such as: long-term disability insurance coverage; accrual of vacation; participation in the County retirement program; or eligibility to take promotional examinations.Intermittent, extra-help employees are limited in their employment to a maximum of 1,380 hours within any twelve month consecutive period.
Extra-help employees who meet the eligibility requirements may qualify for aCounty contribution toward medical coverage.APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED. Minimum Qualifications Education
: Academic course work which directly relates to the knowledge and abilities listed. Normally, graduation from an approved school of nursing will meet these requirements.Experience
: Any combination of training and experience that will provide an opportunity to acquire the skills, knowledge and abilities listed. Normally, six months recent professional nursing experience in an acute care facility would provide this opportunity.License
: Possession of a valid California license as a Registered Nurse. Possession of a valid driver's license at the appropriate level including necessary special endorsements, as required by the State of California, may be required depending upon assignment,to perform the essential job functions of the position.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Working knowledge of
: the modern methods, theories, techniques and procedures used in professional nursing; all aspects of the nursing process; assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation; medical terminology, hospital routines, procedures, equipment and facilities.Considerable knowledge of
: the use, administration and effects of medicines and narcotics.Knowledge of
: safety and infection control procedures.Skills in
: performing both basic and advanced nursing techniques.Ability to
: accurately assess patient's needs and to quickly recognize and manage changes in the patient's condition; observe and report both physical and emotional symptoms and conditions of patients; function as a team leader; deal with patients and their families sympathetically and tactfully while carrying out prescribed treatment; assist patients in understanding and accepting their diagnosis, conditions and treatments; follow oral and written directions of a technical and professional nature in detail; motivate and teach patients and patients' families in assisting in their own care, treatment and health maintenance; protect the rights of patients and maintain confidentiality of all hospital and medical related matters; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships and effective communication with other hospital and medical personnel; chart legibly, concisely, accurately and informatively; maintain, interpret and evaluate nursing charts, records and reports; work during weekdays, weekends, holidays, and various shift hours; comply with common hospital rules, regulations, practices and procedures; stand and walk for long periods and work under mental and physical strain.Selection Procedure & Some Helpful Tips When Applying
- Your application information and your responses to the supplemental questions are evaluated and taken into consideration throughout the entire selection process.
- You should list all employers and positions held within the last ten years in the work history section of your application and should be as thorough as possible when responding to the supplemental questions.
- You may include history beyond ten years if related to the position for which you are applying. If you held multiple positions with one employer, list out each position separately.
- Failure to follow these instructions may impact your competitiveness in this process or may result in disqualification.
Please visit Getting-a-Job with the County of Sonoma to review more detailed information about the hiring process, including the application process, examination steps, and department selection process.APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.Responses to supplemental questions will be used in assessing minimum qualifications. Please provide specific and detailed responses of a reasonable length to allow for thorough assessment of your qualifications. Responses which state "See Resume" or "See Application" may be considered insufficient.
The selection procedure will consist of the following examination:
An Application & Supplemental Questionnaire Appraisal Examination (Weight 100%).
Each application and supplemental questionnaire will be thoroughly evaluated for satisfaction of minimum qualifications and relevance of educational coursework, training, experience, knowledge, and abilities that relate to this position. Candidates possessing the most appropriate job-related qualifications will be placed on an employment list and referred to the department for selection interviews. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
A background investigation is required prior to employment. Candidates referred to departments for a selection interview are typically required to sign authorization and release forms enabling such an investigation. Failure to sign prescribed forms will result in the candidate not being considered further for that vacancy. Reference information will not be made available to applicants.
Additional requirements, such as successful completion of a physical exam, drug screen, etc., may apply, depending on the duties and responsibilities of the position. If you receive a conditional job offer for the position, the requirements upon which the offer are contingent will be outlined in the conditional job letter. You may also review the Job Classification Screening Schedule to determine the requirements for this position. HOW TO APPLY
Applications are accepted on-line at www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org . Paper applications may be submitted by person, fax (707-565-3770), email, or through the mail. All applications and appropriate supplemental information as outlined in the job bulletin must be RECEIVED by the time and date specified on the first page of this job announcement. Continuous recruitments may close without notice at any time that a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. Applications received after the recruitment closes will not be accepted.
The County of Sonoma prioritizes and is committed to continuously providing a workplace where equal employment opportunity is afforded to all people.Please view the County's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy for further information.
HR Analyst: TF
HR Technician: AC