Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on April 25, 2019 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
The San Mateo Medical Center is seeking qualified candidates for the Clinical Services Manager - Laboratory.
The Clinical Services Manager - Laboratory plans, organizes, directs and supervises the operation of the San Mateo Medical Center Laboratory; recommends, develops, implements and evaluates goals, objectives, policies, and procedures related to the Laboratory; provides staff support to higher level management with the Health Services Agency; and selects, trains and supervises subordinate clinical, technical and clerical staff.
The position reports to the Deputy Director of Clinical Ancillary of the San Mateo Medical Center.
The ideal candidate
- Energetic leader interested in collaborating to achieve best patient care.
- Working knowledge of LEAN principles and methods.
- Experience as a Medical Technologist / Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
- Joint Commission / College of American Pathologist survey experience.
- Minimum of three 3 years' managerial experience.
- Health System operational experience.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Organize, supervise and monitor the provision of specialized clinical services, practices and procedures of the Laboratory that meet all applicable guidelines for accreditation, quality assurance and safe patient care.
- Participate in the development of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and priorities within the Laboratory.
- Actively engage and develop staff in problem solving and improvement.
- Develop and improve standard work processes to achieve best patient care.
- Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing with any individuals with the division or County Health.
- Prepare cost estimates and justifications for budget recommendations; monitor and control expenditures to ensure the accomplishment of objectives within the approved budget.
- Negotiate contracts with outside vendors, consultants or organizations for services in theLaboratory; administer and monitor contracts.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with a variety of organizations, including medical, nursing, clinical staff in other Health Services Agency Divisions, County departments, other agencies and private health care providers.
- Answer questions and provide information to the public; enforce applicable clinical standards, codes and regulations as required.
- Provide staff assistance to higher level management on clinical issues within the area of specialization.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate clinical, professional, technical and clerical subordinates.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
Three years of professional clinical experience in an accredited hospital or clinic, or which at least one year included responsible supervisory experience in a laboratory. Licensure/Certification:
- Possession of a Clinical Laboratory Technologist certification issued by the State of California.
- Principles, practices, trends and technological developments in the area of laboratory technology.
- Clinical practices, procedures and techniques used in clinical laboratories.
- Laws, regulations, accreditation standards and safety guidelines, related to laboratory services.
- Principles and practices of program management, including program planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Principles of budget preparation and monitoring.
- Principles of personnel training, supervision and evaluation.
- Organize, direct, coordinate and evaluate specialized laboratory services to ensure quality patient diagnosis and care that conform with prescribed standards and regulations.
- Analyze service delivery problems accurately, develop recommendations and take appropriate actions to resolve them.
- Develop evaluate and maintain accurate record keeping systems, prepare complex and detailed written reports, procedures and contracts.
- Communicate effectively with administrative, medical, professional and clinical staff and citizen groups.
- Work cooperatively with other County departments, public and private organizations, including public and private medical providers.
- Train staff and coordinate activities of contractors, volunteer groups and staff, as appropriate.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition toour regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions.Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview(weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
:Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the"Apply"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttps://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply.Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before 11:59 PM on the final filing date. TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE: Final Filing Date:TBD
Next Application Screening: TBD
Combined Civil Service and DepartmentInterviews: TBDAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Wendy Young (04112019) (Clinical Services Manager - Laboratory - D159)