The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities, is seeking Associate Civil Engineers with a focus in water resources and utilities infrastructure related to water distribution and treatment and wastewater and storm drainage collection systems. Areas of focus include design of capital improvement projects, engineering construction support, operation and maintenance support, asset management, regulatory (water quality) compliance, development review, floodplain management, master planning, and hydraulic modeling. The ideal candidate will have experience in one or more of the focus areas listed above, the ability to work well in a team environment, and possess strong written and verbal communication skills.DEFINITION:
To perform professional civil engineering work in the planning, design, technical investigation, and construction of projects in the areas of public works, transportation, hydraulics, and structural engineering.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS:
This is the full journey level class in the civil engineering series requiring registration. Positions in the class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the lower class of Assistant Civil Engineer, or, when filled from the outside, require prior advanced professional civil engineering work experience. An Associate Civil Engineer works under general supervision and is expected to complete complex civil engineering assignments requiring the use of judgment and initiative in developing solutions to problems, interpreting general policies, and determining work assignments. Work in this class is distinguished from that of the Assistant Civil Engineer class by the greater complexity of the assignments received and by the greater independence with which an incumbent is expected to operate.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Direction is provided by a higher level professional engineer or a division head level position. Responsibilities of an Associate Civil Engineer may include the direct or indirect supervision of lower level professional engineers and technical personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise and participate in the preparation of plans and specifications for the construction of water utility, street, storm drain and sanitary sewer pump stations, street lighting, traffic signal, buildings, and related public works and City building projects; research project design requirements; perform complex calculations and prepare estimates of material costs and time considerations.
- Assign routine inspection, investigation, design, and drafting tasks to technical subordinates; review completed work; assist in the solution of difficult problems.
- Research building codes, publications and industry information sources.
- Develop and revise design and construction standards.
- Participate in the implementation of the City's traffic and transportation engineering programs; prepare and revise plans and specifications for traffic related projects; prepare special studies and reports and coordinate major projects.
- Participate in the City's Building Code Compliance program.
- Investigate field problems affecting property owners, contractors, and maintenance operations.
- Order survey, mapping, and data collection.
- Prepare estimates and feasibility reports for new or modified services and structures.
- Administer contracts for construction projects.
- Participate in the plan check, review, and processing of plans for private developments affecting streets, sewers, drains and related public works facilities and ensure that they meet all City imposed requirements.
- Check building plans for compliance with City building codes and ordinances.
- Prepare special engineering studies and reports.
- Serve as staff to a variety of City commissions, boards, and committees on public works, utility matters, or building code appeals issues.
- Coordinate planning, design, and construction activities with other City departments, divisions, and sections, and with outside agencies.
- May supervise, train, and evaluate lower level professional, technical and clerical subordinates.
- Other related duties may also be performed; not all duties listed may necessarily be performed by each individual holding this classification.
QUALIFICATIONS ASSISTANT CIVIL ENGINEER Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of civil engineering as applied to public works, utilities, traffic, or building construction projects.
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction of public works, building and utilities projects.
- Modern developments, current literature and sources of information regarding civil engineering and building codes and ordinances.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Make complex engineering computations and to check, design, and supervise the preparation of engineering plans and studies.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Use and care for engineering and drafting instruments and equipment.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Experience:
One year of experience in professional civil engineering work in one of the areas of assignments andEducation:
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major study in civil engineering.-Or-
Possession of an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certificate.
All education requirements must be verifiable from records of satisfactory completion of courses.Proof of Required Education:
Proof of education such as college transcripts, degrees, and verification of possession of a Certificate of Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as an attachment(s) to the online application, or fax to (916) 596-1556 by the final filing deadline.
If submitting in person or via fax, please include your name andExam#011012-19-WR-3on your documents.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. This evaluation must be submitted before you will be considered for any positions. ASSOCIATE CIVIL ENGINEER
In addition to the qualifications for Assistant Civil Engineer :Knowledge of:
- City engineering policies and procedures.
- Principles of supervision and training.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Perform complex professional engineering work with a minimum of supervision.
- Supervise and train subordinates.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Experience
Two years of experience comparable to that of an Assistant Civil Engineer in the City of Sacramento.License or Certificate:
Possession of a Certificate of Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California. Certificate of Registration as a Professional Engineer must be verifiable.PROBATIONARY PERIOD
Employees must successfully complete twelve (12) months of probation at a satisfactory performance level prior to gaining permanent status.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders.1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application to the Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the "Work Experience" section.Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
Proof of required certification, education and/or degree equivalency must be submitted online with your application, delivered in person, or sent to the Employment Office by fax or mail by the final filing deadline.2. Supplemental Questionnaire
: The Supplemental Questionnaire is the Training and Experience Exam (Weighted 100%). Only the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will become candidates and their supplemental questionnaire will be rated and scored. This exam will evaluate the relevance, level, and progression of a candidate's education, training and experience. Therefore, your responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough and complete because the exam score will determine your ranking on the eligible list for this job. When completing the supplemental questionnaire, please note:
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaires will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaires will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
- Candidates who score high enough on the Training and Experience Evaluation will will be placed on an eligiblelist. The hiring department may contact candidates for interview at any time during the life of the one-year list.4.Conditional Hire:
Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete LiveScan / fingerprinting and receive Human Resources approval prior to receiving a start date from the Department.APPLICATION DEADLINES
: Recruitment #011012-19-WR-1
Open Date: Saturday, January 26, 2019
Cut-Off Date: Friday, February 22, 2019
Open Date: Saturday, February 23, 2019
Cut-Off Date:Friday, April 26, 2019 Recruitment #011012-19-WR-3
Open Date: Saturday, April 27, 2019
Cut-Off Date:Sunday, June 30, 2019
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process: