Description NOTE: This recruitment schedule was amended on June 10, 2019 from a continuous recruitment to closing. The Final Closing Date will beJune 17, 2019.
**Please note: This position has been filled.
Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on May 16, 2019to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
San Mateo County Health is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of IS Application Support Analyst III-Behavioral Health and Recovery Services
. This position performs applications system support, maintenance, and modification of departmental and county enterprise-wide software application(s); identifies end user system requirements and evaluates software packages; designs, codes, tests, and documents software applications; trains and assists end users in implementing new applications; and performs related work as required. This position reports to the assigned IS Manager at Behavioral Health & Recovery Services (BHRS) under the Behavioral Health & Recovery Services Information Technology (BHRS IT) Unit.
This is an Information Technology (IT) hands-on position and the individual will become familiar with all aspects of County Health's IT organization. This role requires building strong working relationships with all levels of BHRS, including executives, management, and line staff in order to coordinate the efforts of resources.
There is currently one full-time, regular vacancy in Behavioral Health & Recovery Services currently located in San Mateo; incumbent will travel/drive within the County to attend meetings, conduct training, information gathering, etc.Primary responsibilities
- Performing complex and varied applications system support, maintenance, and modifications.
- Serving as a technical leader and subject matter expert in specific area(s).
- Identifying end user system requirements and issues, evaluates possible solutions, and makes recommendations on the most appropriate action.
- Exercising technical and functional direction over and provide training to lower-level staff on a day-to-day or project basis.
- Participating in integrated project teams, ensuring project management rigor and a collaborative work environment.
- Coordinating with vendor(s) to develop an implementation plan for process improvement, chart conversion, installation, data validation, system build, testing, training, and other aspects of system implementation.
- Organizing tasks, timelines, and resources necessary to implement projects, ensuring that projects adhere to schedule and budget, and also maintain high quality and performance outcomes.
- Maintaining a risk/issue resolution log in order to escalate issues appropriately.
- Participating on system implementation teams. Depending on the size of the project and its complexity, this may entail hardware and/or software installations, network setup, information security compliance, system configuration and user preference design, testing and training.
- Evaluating and recommending upgrades and/or enhancements and scheduling them accordingly following change management practices.
- Working with end-users to develop reports and other data business needs.
- Create and develop reports using Crystal Reports.
The ideal candidate
NOTE: The eligible listgenerated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified,and regular classifiedvacancies.
- Health IT experience with behavioral health, clinic, and residential services.
- Health IT or other equivalent project experience.
- Background in health informatics or other equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of myAvatar, OrderConnect, ProviderConnect or other Electronic Health Record (EHR) / Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems.
- Experience in cross-functional project teams.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independent judgment, tact, and initiative.
- Ability to serve as technical lead for assigned projects and may be asked to train assigned staff.
- Ability to solve problems or establish process redesign improvements requiring analysis of unique issues or problems without precedent and/or structure.
- Ability to adjust and set priorities in order to meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in the use of project management tools.
- Experience working on IT process improvement projects.
- Demonstrated ability toestablish strong working relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Crystal Reports and SQL.
Examples Of Duties
- Individually, as a project team member, or as a technical lead, works on and is responsible for complex software applications research, development, conversion, installation, and maintenance projects, including planning, organizing, and defining project requirements, methods, and end objectives in consultation with end users; coordinates project activities with team members, other section staff, user representatives and outside vendors.
- Interviews, analyzes, and documents end user work processes and systems requirements; conducts systems walk-throughs and technical reviews; develops or refines system specifications, including evaluating and testing vendor software packages for conformance with user requirements and priorities.
- Facilitates and conducts business process redesign or technical design sessions and/or focus groups for design and implementation of new processes or systems.
- Prepares feasibility studies, cost and benefits analyses, product evaluation, requirement specifications, designs, and other analyses and documentation.
- Designs business processes and work flow strategies for the management, access, and retrieval of data, defines data rules and relationships, and develops methods for quality control of databases.
- Reviews, analyzes, streamlines, and documents business processes and relates them to application software; recommends and implements procedural and operational modifications to optimize internal and customer workflows.
- Develops and implements automated processes, scripts, triggers, specialized views, and reports in response to user needs.
- Designs methods to import/export data for analysis and performs comparative analysis of data from dissimilar applications; designs and codes new and modified programs for data processing.
- Designs and implements enhancements while ensuring adherence to standards and procedures for system development, database access, web-based development, change control, and reporting.
- Develops software and systems to optimize performance of relational database systems, application access, and to enhance and support web applications accessing relational databases.
- Designs, develops, tests, refines, and implements software that supplements or integrates with system applications; customizes and maintains system objects as required.
- Designs and develops web software applications, including designing user interfaces for a variety of applications; creates user prototypes and conducts usability tests to increase effectiveness; designs website and application architectures; creates visual and functional designs of complex user interfaces for large projects that have a significant impact on individual or multiple departments; manages content and functionality of websites.
- Develops and executes test plans to ensure application performance conforms to specifications.
- Responds to and resolves software users' inquiries and complaints and escalates problems or issues to vendor representatives as needed.
- Prepares demonstrations and training materials; conducts formal and informal training programs on the use and operation of the application system software.
- Develops and recommends comprehensive standards, policies, procedures, and technical documentation.
- Consults with supervisors regarding information technology related issues, needs, and services; conducts special research assignments, gathers data, and prepares reports for consideration by management or special committees.
- Provides direction during major systems incidents to ensure an expedient response and resolution; maintains communication with all stakeholders on system status; identifies underlying problems causing incidents and designs, proposes, and implements resolutions.
- Functions as a liaison between project managers, systems specialists, data specialists, communications specialists, and customer Support Analysts to ensure standards and protocols are maintained; assists in coordinating activities with other information services staff.
- Provides recommendations to managers and supervisors on the development of long- and short-term system infrastructure plans.
- Participates in the review and recommendation of contracts with outside vendors and consultants; administers, monitors, and evaluates contract scope of work; reviews design documents to ensure technical integrity.
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in technology related to County operations; researches, recommends, and evaluates vendor solutions and technologies; implements improvements; works with staff to maintain, revise, or improve operations and systems.
- Writes and maintains user and technical operating instructions and documentation; provides training to users and other technical staff and advises on best practices.
- Provides updates, status, and completion information to staff and/or users via voicemail, email, or in-person communication.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications Education and Experience :
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in management information systems, computer science, or a related field and four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in applications analysis, design, and development.Additional related experience may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis, up to four (4) years. Licenses and Certifications
- Some positions may require possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver's License.
- Some positions may require possession of, or ability to obtain, industry-recognized information technology certifications.
Advanced principles and practices of computer systems management, analysis, design, and maintenance; various software packages including word processing, spreadsheet, SQL database and database management, and reporting tools; data processing management and general administration practices and techniques; advanced techniques and methods of system evaluation, implementation, and documentation; advanced data management theory, principles, and practices and their application to a wide variety of services and programs; principles and practices of project management; the organization, operation, and functions of the department as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities and to determine appropriate point of escalation; applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility; principles and procedures of record keeping; modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work; English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation; and techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with vendors and County staff. Skill/Ability to :
Conduct complex research projects on a wide variety of software issues, evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare effective technical staff reports; coordinate and plan applications development, enhancement, and maintenance projects; perform analyzes of informational requirements and needs; identify, evaluate, and solve systems problems; design and implement new or revised systems and procedures; provide technical advice and consultation, and ensure efficient computer system utilization; code, configure, manage, and maintain assigned system(s) and integrate to meet business needs independently without vendor support; collect, analyze, and interpret procedures and data; develop sound conclusions, recommendations, and solutions; independently facilitate cross-functional groups to establish process redesign or new system and/or design functions; research, develop, and recommend cost-effective technical system improvements; implement comprehensive computer operations-related projects and training programs; prepare clear and concise program documentation, system and user procedures, reports of work performed, and other written materials; analyze and troubleshoot any software issues and use logic to solve the problem; deal tactfully with the customers and staff in providing information, answering questions, and providing customer service; interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, rules, and regulations; operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs; establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems; organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines; use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing; use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines; and establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Physical Demands
:Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Standing in and walking between work areas is frequently required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification frequently bend, stoop, kneel, and reach to perform assigned duties, as well as push and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds with the use of proper equipment. Environmental Elements
: Employees work in an office environment with moderate levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff when providing applications system support.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
CurrentCounty of San Mateoand County of San Mateo Superior Court of Californiaemployees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition toour regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: Pass/Fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions.Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview(weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~Final Filing Date: June 17, 2019The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions.We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Yvonne Alvidrez (050219) (IS Application Support Analyst III -V262)