Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on July 18, 2018 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
The Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo is seeking qualified candidatesfor multiple full-time Official Court Reporter
positions.The court's mission is to apply the law fairly to protect individual freedom and to promote the welfare of the people. Join us in meetingour goal ofcontinuing to find innovative ways to conduct business and provide essential court services to our community. Apply today!
Court Reporters stenotype a verbatim record of courtroom proceedings and provide general support to the assigned judge related to the official record. Court Reporters work in any court department, including but not limited to, arraignment calendars, family law, civil and criminal trials, law and motion, juvenile, and preliminary hearings, in any of the court's three locations throughout San Mateo County.
The ideal candidate
for the Court Reporter position has experience transcribing a full range of courtroom proceedings, is familiar with real time reporting, and possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Certification and/or experience with real time is highly desired. The Court offers differential pay of 10% for employees with real time certification or 5% for real time court certification.
for more information on our organization.
NOTE: The eligible listgenerated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified,and regular classifiedvacancies.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attend courtroom sessions to record court proceedings.
- Prepare verbatim transcripts of court proceedings including testimony, objections, rulings, pleas and sentences.
- Read aloud Court reporting notes at the request of the Court.
- Certify the accuracy of Court transcripts.
- Prepare indexes of witnesses and exhibits and file official transcripts with the Court.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including computers and printers.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from litigants.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Valid Certified Shorthand Reporter License issued by the State of California. Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Knowledge of:
- Methods and techniques of courtroom procedures.
- Laws, regulations and judicial procedures related to court reporting.
- Legal, medical, professional and technical terminology used in a courtroom setting.
- Records management practices and procedures, including indexing and cross-indexing.
- Correct English usage, including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Principles and techniques for dealing with the public, often when relations may be strained.
- Take and transcribe a full range of courtroom proceedings.
- Operate courtroom stenotype equipment.
- Use standard office equipment, including a word processor and/or a personal or on-line computer.
- Organize and prioritize work, meet critical time deadlines and coordinate multiple activities.
- Deal tactfully and effectively with a variety of individuals.
- Exercise initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Organize and maintain accurate files and records.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
This recruitment is being conducted in collaboration with the County of San Mateo.
Responses to the Training and Experience Evaluation
supplemental questions must be submitted in addition toour regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of a scored relevant Training and Experience (T&E) evaluation, based solely on the candidates' responses to the supplemental questions (weight: 100%). Candidates who receive a passing score in the T&E evaluation will be placed on an eligible list in rank order, determined by the score attained from the evaluation of the training and experience. The top candidates from the eligible list will be forwarded to the hiring department for an interview, which is the basis for final selection.
Because of this screening process, applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the next phase of the examination process. Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations.All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.NOTE:
The detailed information you provide in the supplemental questionnaire should be consistent with the information in your standard County application and resume. All information provided is subject to verification.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULERecruitment Closing Date
: ContinuousApplication Screening/Training and Experience Evaluation (tentative): TBDDepartmental Interviews (tentative): TBDThe Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and weencourage applications from candidates who will contribute to our diversity.Please note:
Although the County is conducting the recruitment with the Superior Court, this position is not a County position.
Analyst: Mandy Singh(053118) (Court Reporter - X064)