The County of San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Division is seeking a well-qualified Case Management/Assessment Specialist I/II - Spanish Speaking Preferred - Limited Term
to work as a team member of the Alcohol & Other Drug Services Unit
and perform a wide variety of intake and referral services including screening and assessment, evaluation, tracking and support services for clients in need of, or receiving substance abuse treatment; develop and implement activities related to substance abuse prevention, intervention and rehabilitation; and perform other related work.Position specifics:
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- This is limited term position that will last through December 31, 2020
- This position will be embedded within the San Mateo Medical Center's Emergency Department, located in San Mateo
- This position will work primarily during peak hours, primarily nights and weekends, as well as some holidays.
Ideal candidate will possess:
- Engage individuals with severe and persistent substance use disorders to provide a range of services and supports, including but not limited to, substance use screening and brief intervention
- Assess clients' needs using assessment criteria to determine medical necessity and identification of key clinical interventions
- Use the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) guidelines for placement and determination of stage of change
- Engage clients by using Motivational Interviewing and Harm Reduction practices
- Provide intensive case management including transportation, client advocacy, client-driven treatment planning, and care coordination with other care providers
- Refer and connect clients to a continuum of substance use disorder and mental health services, including medication assisted treatments
- Initiate a "warm hand-off" process to increase the likelihood of a successful engagement
- Link clients to primary care clinics to address medical conditions
Refer clients to enroll into benefits, including health coverage for which they are eligible
- Participate in a multidisciplinary team; use clinical consultation and case conferencing on difficult cases; and partner with key referral sources and other service providers including but not limited to, San Mateo Medical Center Emergency Department, Psychiatric Emergency Services, and Primary Care and Specialty Clinics, Behavioral Health and Recovery Services clinics and programs, Substance Use Disorder treatment providers, including Palm Avenue Detox, shelters, Probation, and Correctional Health
SALARYCase Management/Assessment Specialist I: $31.71 - $35.45/HourCase Management/Assessment Specialist II: $ $32.04 - $40.05/HourThis is a limited term, at-will position.
- Significant experience and training in providing case management; assessment and evaluation of adult clients with substance use issues
- Experience working with adult clients having co-occurring mental health and substance use disorder, emergency services, criminal justice system, or adult clients respective to the position
- Demonstrated experience determining appropriate referrals and recommending treatment plans
- Ability to maintain case files
- Experience establishing appropriate clinical relationships
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with the confidentiality and ethics
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors are strongly preferred (e.g. CADC-I/II, CAADE)
- The ability to speak, read and write fluently in both English and Spanish is highly desirable
Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan. Information for current County employees:
Current and regular County of San Mateo employees who are interested in this assignment must submit application materials and compete inthe selection process.If you are successful in the selection process and are being considered for the assignment, HRwill work directly with you and/or your department for options.Please notethat there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
Qualifications Education and Experience :
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is: Case Management/Assessment Specialist I
: One year of experience in information gathering and/or intake and referral in a social service program.Case Management/Assessment Specialist II
: Two years of experience assessing and evaluating clients using assessments instruments and/or guidelines, identifying and making referrals based on those assessments, and interviewing clients for in a social service program.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with interest (maximum of 2 pages)
Please include the words "Case Management / Assessment Specialist I/II - Spanish Speaking Preferred - Limited Term Position
" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Mary Taylor Fullerton, LMFTmfullerton@smcgov.org
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.NOTE
: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with interest and a resume) will not be considered.The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.