Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program.
Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2019 current employee cost $147.14 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents.
$94,961.00 - $147,191.00 (Non-represented Pay Band 06)
Average initial annual salary for this position is $131,000.00, depending on experience.
May 6, 2019
Open Until Filled-First review of applications will start on May 17th, 2019
Manager of Reliability Engineering
Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees.
The incumbent selected for this position will responsible for performing the more complex and difficult duties of staff responsible for analyzing and documenting system and equipment performance and reliability; assisting in the development of contractual specifications which meet reliability and systems assurance requirements; developing, maintaining, and operating complex computer-based data retrieval and analytical systems; and performing related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate(s) will be selected to work in one of the two areas based on the needs of the District: (1) Reliability Engineering as it relates to system performance measures and trends, and related operations improvement or 2) data systems and analysis which will design and manage the systems that support reliability and performance management.
The ideal candidate(s) will demonstrate the following beyond the minimum qualifications:
1. Principles and practices of concepts related to reliability engineering.
2. Operations, services and activities of a reliability engineering program.
3. Methods and techniques of statistical, mathematical and comparative analysis.
4. Performing complex statistical, mathematical and comparative analysis on equipment reliability and performance.
5. Analyzing and measuring equipment reliability and performance.
Essential Job Functions
1. Participates in the more complex and difficult work of staff responsible for analyzing and documenting system performance and equipment reliability testing.
2. Implements new computer programs to process equipment reliability, train movement and other data.
3. Responds to requests for data from internal departments and external agencies.
4. Develops and modifies complex computer programs, codes, and scripts. Resolves complex computer system malfunctions, and develops modifications as required. Provides system database maintenance support, including backup, recovery, and performance enhancement.
5. Uses a variety of operating system software, utilities, and programming languages to perform basic system administration and operational support for Linux and Windows database and analytical systems, including statistical packages such as SAS and R.
A Bachelor's degree in engineering, physical sciences, mathematics, computer science or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Three (3) years of (full-time equivalent) verifiable experience in the analysis of equipment, operational performance and equipment reliability. Transit system experience is preferred.
Additional professional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis. A college degree is preferred.
1. Operations, services and activities of a reliability engineering program.
2. Principles of lead supervision and training.
3. Advanced methods and techniques of data collection and analysis.
4. Current office equipment including computers and supporting word processing
and spreadsheet applications.
5. Principles and practices of statistical record keeping and reporting.
1. Independently performing difficult reliability engineering tasks.
2. Performing complex statistical, mathematical and comparative analysis on equipment reliability and performance.
3. Analyzing and measuring equipment reliability and performance.
4. Leading, organizing and reviewing the work of staff.
5. Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and a panel and/or individual interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S; pass a pre-employment medical examination which may include a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations).
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs.
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at email@example.com for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.