Position Information Become aVegetation Specialist with the Transportation and Public Works Department and help the County of Sonoma improve our roadways.
Starting salary up to $29.64/hour (61,862/year), a cash allowance of $600/month, and a competitive total compensation package!*Do you have a:
If you answered, "Yes" to these questions, apply to join our team!
- Valid California Qualified Applicator's Right-of-Way Pest Control Certification, Category C
- Year of experience in commercial pest control, public works, flood control and/or park maintenance
As a Vegetation Specialist you will be responsible for assistingthe Vegetation Control Advisorwith the implementation of the County's Integrated Pest Management (IPM)Plan, which includesthe:
- Inspection of County property and roadways to determine the extent of weed infestations
- Eradicationand control ofpest infestations
- Investigation of tree hazards
- Care and maintenance of equipment
- Support of related public works projects
- Observation of safety precautions in the preparation, application, and storage of chemicals as outlined by theEPA, California Department of Pesticide Regulations (CDPR), and County of Sonoma's Agricultural Department
Sincevalid CA certification is required for this position, please visit the CDPR website for information regarding howyou canobtain your Category C certification. What We Offer
The County of Sonoma offers a challenging and rewarding work environment, the satisfaction of knowing that you're working to better the community, and a competitive total compensation, including*:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- County paid premium contribution to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance
*Salary is negotiable within the established range. Benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. Additional information can found in the Service Employees International Union Local 1021 Memorandum Of Understanding (SEIU MOU) .
This employment list may also be used to fill future full-time, part-time, or extra-help (temporary)positions as they occur during the active status of the list. County employees who wish to be considered for future positions should consider applying to this recruitment .APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.Minimum Qualifications
Any combination of education and training which would provide the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and abilities listed. Normally, this would include:Education and Experience:
One year of licensed experience in commercial pest control, public works, flood control or park maintenance would provide such an opportunity.Special Qualification:
Possession of a valid California Qualified Applicator's Certification, Category C.License:
Possession of a valid driver's license at the appropriate level, as required by the State of California to perform the essential job functions of the position.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Some knowledge of:
the various weed species and proper herbicides used for effective control or eradication.Knowledge of:
proper storage, mixing and use of chemicals.Ability to:
safely operate a spray truck; perform a variety of semi-skilled manual maintenance and construction tasks for extended periods and under unfavorable weather conditions; complete continuing education required for maintaining applicator certification; work effectively with other employees and the public; understand and follow oral and written directions; demonstrate physical strength, endurance and mechanical aptitude.Selection Procedure & Some Helpful Tips When Applying
- Your application information and your responses to the supplemental questions are evaluated and taken into consideration throughout the entire selection process.
- You should list all employers and positions held within the last ten years in the work history section of your application and should be as thorough as possible when responding to the supplemental questions.
- You may include history beyond ten years if related to the position for which you are applying. If you held multiple positions with one employer, list out each position separately.
- Failure to follow these instructions may impact your competitiveness in this process or may result in disqualification.
Please visit Getting-a-Job with the County of Sonoma to review more detailed information about the hiring process, including the application process, examination steps, and department selection process.APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.Responses to supplemental questions will be scored using position-specific criteria. Please provide specific and detailed responses of a reasonable length to allow for thorough assessment of your qualifications. Responses which state "See Resume" or "See Application" may be considered insufficient and therefore may not be scored.
The selection procedure will consist of the following examination:
An Application & Supplemental Questionnaire Appraisal Examination
(weight 100%) will be conducted to evaluate each applicant's application and supplemental questionnaire for satisfaction of minimum qualifications (pass/not pass); and for educational coursework, training, experience, knowledge, and abilities which relate to this position. Each applicant will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of work history, related experience, and achieved level of education and/or training as described in the application and responses to the supplemental questions.
Candidates demonstrating possession of the minimum qualifications will be placed on an employment list in order of most qualified to least qualified based on the achieved score received in the Application & Supplemental Questionnaire Appraisal Examination.Scores may be adjusted based on such factors as number of candidates, anticipated vacancies, past practice, and natural breaks in the scores achieved by this group of candidates. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
A background investigation is required prior to employment. Candidates referred to departments for a selection interview are typically required to sign authorization and release forms enabling such an investigation. Failure to sign prescribed forms will result in the candidate not being considered further for that vacancy. Reference information will not be made available to applicants.
Additional requirements, such as successful completion of a physical exam, drug screen, etc., may apply, depending on the duties and responsibilities of the position. If you receive a conditional job offer for the position, the requirements upon which the offer are contingent will be outlined in the conditional job letter. You may also review the Job Classification Screening Schedule to determine the requirements for this position. HOW TO APPLY
Applications are accepted on-line at: www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org . Paper applications may be submitted by person, fax (707-565-3770), email, or through the mail. All applications and appropriate supplemental information as outlined in the job bulletin must be RECEIVED by the time and date specified on the first page of this job announcement. Continuous recruitments may close without notice at any time that a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. Applications received after the recruitment closes will not be accepted.
The County of Sonoma prioritizes and is committed to continuously providing a workplace where equal employment opportunity is afforded to all people.Please view the County's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy for further information.
HR Analyst: CG
HR Technician: EP