Description Note: This job posting was amended on March 29, 2017, July 5, 2017, May 15, 2018 & August 30, 2018 to update the vacancy shift.
Note: This job posting was amended on February 12, 2018 to Examples Of Duties and Qualifications sections.
Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on March 15, 2017 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
San Mateo Medical Center is a public hospital and clinic system fully accredited by The Joint Commission. The Medical Center operates outpatient clinics throughout San Mateo County and an acute-care hospital in San Mateo. The mission of San Mateo Medical Center is to "partner with patients to provide excellent care with compassion and respect." As part of an integrated Health System, the Medical Center serves the healthcare needs of all residents of San Mateo County, with an emphasis on education and prevention.
The San Mateo Medical Center Laboratory is looking for experienced Clinical Laboratory Scientists to join our team! Positions are available for Clinical Lab Scientists/Medical Technologists in various shifts. Generalists are encouraged to apply as Clinical areas include hematology, chemistry, coagulation, and blood banking.
Under general supervision, theClinical Laboratory Scientist I/II (Medical Technologist/Generalist)
will perform high and moderate complexity testing and oversee testing of medical laboratory technicians and specimen management by phlebotomists during their shift in order to provide data used in the diagnosis and therapeutic management of diseases.There is currently oneFull-Time, Regular vacancy for the Night shift .DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICSClinical Laboratory Scientist I
is the journey level class in the medical technologist series with incumbents performing routine and specialized laboratory tests. This class is flexibly staffed with Clinical Laboratory Scientist II and incumbents are expected to advance to the higher level after gaining experience and demonstrating the required proficiency.Clinical Laboratory Scientist II
is the advanced journey level class in the medical technologist series with incumbents independently performing a variety of complex and specialized laboratory tests.Possession of a Clinical Laboratory Technologist (MTA) license issued by the State of California is required, and 2 - 5years of experience in medical laboratory work as a licensed technologist is strongly preferred.
The ideal candidate
will also possess:
NOTE: The hourly wage for relief classifications is 5% above the rate for regular employees in the same classification.NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Certification.
- Experience with Manual Differentials, Microbiology and Blood Bank.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform microbiological examinations on a variety of specimens using morphological, cultural, biochemical, and serological identification of micro-organisms.
- Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis of blood and urine using standard procedures.
- Perform routine hematological examinations such as complete blood count, coagulation studies, sedimentation rate, etc.
- Perform blood banking procedures including typing, grouping, and cross matching of blood for transfusion.
- Perform serological examinations using a variety of techniques on various clinical specimens.
- Prepare culture media, stains, reagents and stock solutions.
- Operate and care for laboratory equipment and assumes responsibility for preventive maintenance.
- Perform all quality control tests required by procedures and prepare quality control reports.
- Maintain records of laboratory results, quality control data, and laboratory procedures.
- Assist in laboratory quality assurance procedures, data gathering and problem-solving.
- Compile and prepare periodic reports.
- Assist in training and guiding laboratory assistants and paraprofessional employees, as well as teaching other technologists new procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
If designated as the CLS-Blood Bank Specialist:
- Perform and document proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
- Communicate, liaison, instruct, and dialog appropriately with health care providers, patients, and vendors on issues such as test interpretation, recommendations for alternate testing, instrumentation and problems with specimens/methodology
- Identify all simple and some complex antibodies.
- Investigate and develop new/modified blood bank procedures and technical review and monitoring of existing procedures.
- Provide technical expertise in the Blood Bank to establish compliance with any of the regulatory/accreditation agencies' requirements related to testing, training and education, competency evaluation, proficiency testing, validation, standard operating procedures, and performance improvement.
- Manage Blood Bank inventory.
- Review Crossmatches and off shift Antibody IDs.
- Review Transfusion reactions with Lab Director.
: The level and scope of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed below are related to job duties as defined under Distinguishing Characteristics.Knowledge of:
- Current technology, principles and application of medical examinations such as those commonly used in biochemistry, microbiology, blood banking, hematology and or serology.
- Operation and care of laboratory equipment and instrumentation.
- Make independent judgments in evaluating the validity of completed laboratory tests.
- Maintain and analyze quality control programs.
- Follow written and oral directions, procedures or instructions.
- Perform serological, parasitological, bacteriological, immunological, hematology, and biochemical tests.
If designated as Blood Bank Specialist:
Education and Experience:
- Perform biochemical tests and technical test interpretations
- Understand regulatory requirement specific for one's area of expertise
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:Education
: Bachelor's Degree (baccalaureate) in biology, clinical laboratory science, or equivalent major that includes 25 semester or equivalent quarter units of biology courses, which must include genetics and immunology.Experience
: Minimum of two years of experience performing medical laboratory work as a licensed technologist, including at least one year of experience in immunohematology.Licensure/Certification:
- Possession of a Clinical Laboratory Technologist license issued by the State of California; and/or Clinical Immunohematologist Scientist (MTD) license issued by the State of California.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition toour regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions.Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview(weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations, or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date. TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: Continuous
First Round Application Screening: Week of March 20, 2017
Panel Interviews: TBDCounty of SanMateo is anEqualOpportunityEmployer
Analyst: Wendy Young(030217) (Clinical Laboratory Scientist I/II - F074/F023)