Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program. Department
eBART OPERATIONS Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2019 current employee cost $147.14 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents. Pay Rate
$115,426.00 - $178,912.00 annually (Non-rep Pay Band 09) Posted Date
May 13, 2019 Closing Date
Open Until Filled Reports To
Superintendent of Vehicle Maintenance Days Off
Variable Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees. Current Assignment
Under general direction assists with and is responsible for the direction of all activities of the eBART Vehicle Maintenance Department in a safe and effective manner. Additionally provides oversight support on all eBART program development and start up activities, including shop operations, field operations, engineering and planning, maintenance and repair of all eBART rolling stock. Develops longrange plans and projections of future needs for fleet maintenance, preventive maintenance and repair; coordinates assigned activities with other eBART and BART departments and outside agencies; provides responsible and complex administrative and managerial support to the Superintendent - Vehicle Maintenance, eBART; and performs related duties as assigned. Essential Job Functions
Assists with the oversight and ensures that the planning, scheduling and execution of the maintenance, repair and upgrade work on all eBART rolling stock is completed in accordance with all CPUC (California Public Utility Commission) regulations, OEM recommendations and eBART standards. Promotes and enforces safe practices for working on or around rolling stock, buildings and yards of other facilities which are used by Vehicle Maintenance personnel. Manages, monitors, coordinates and controls all aspects of vehicle maintenance programs, facilities, processes, resources and activities relating to all work projects. Plans, directs and coordinates through subordinate level staff, the eBART maintenance work plan. Assigns projects and areas of responsibility. Reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures. Establishes appropriate service and staffing levels, monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures, allocates resources accordingly. Responsible for the development and administration of the eBART asset management databases within designated database. Maintains the eBART Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) Program including creation of mission critical reports and performance indicators, computerized records of equipment and personnel performance. Participates in the selection, training and evaluation of personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; and implements discipline procedures. In the stead of the Superintendent Vehicle Maintenance (SVM), the Assistant SVM represents eBART to other departments, agencies, Original Equipment Manufacturer OEM), contractors and vendors. Coordinates activities, attends and participates in professional meetings as assigned. Assists with or performs Vehicle Maintainer duties; inspection and diagnostics, repairs or replaces components, operates trains, performs cleaning and servicing as required. Performs other duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications Education:
- High school diploma, GED or recognized equivalent.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, engineering or closely related field from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Five (5) years of experience in maintenance of diesel or electric passenger rail vehicles, with at least two (2) years of supervisory or management responsibility.
- Ten (10) years of experience in a rail/transit operation or maintenance program, with five (5) years of supervisor or management responsibility preferred.
- Additional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis.
This position will be engaged in other duties as assigned without regard to the limitations of job descriptions in order to maximize the efficient delivery of eBART services. Knowledge of:
- Maintenance practices and CPUC regulations for commuter rail fleet.
- Principles and practices of warranty administration and quality assurance.
- Operational characteristics, services and activities related to railroad systems.
- Principles and practices utilized in the development of preventive maintenance and State of Good repair programs.
- Principles and practices in overseeing large operating and maintenance contracts.
- Methods and techniques of developing and implementing safety programs in assigned area.
- Principles and practices of bid specifications, review, and selection.
- Principles and practices of procurement, purchasing, ordering and requisitioning.
- Principles and practices of program development and administration.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Related Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Overseeing and participating in the management of a comprehensive rail vehicle maintenance program. Starting up new transit systems and systems integration. Interpreting technical specifications, diagrams and manuals.
- Developing and managing large service contracts.
- Developing equipment specifications; analyzing bids and evaluating products.
- Selecting, supervising, training and evaluating staff.
- Participating in the development and administration of division goals, objectives and procedures. Preparing and administering budgets.
- Preparing clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
- Analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of proposed actions and implementing recommendations in support of goals.
- Researching, analyzing and evaluating new service delivery methods and techniques.
- Interpreting and applying Federal, State and local policies, laws and regulations.
- Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and a panel and/or individual interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S; pass a pre-employment medical examination which may include a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations). Application Process
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement. Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at email@example.com .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs. Other Information
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
Please note that any job announcement may be canceled at any time. Note
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at email@example.com , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.