Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program. Department
eBART OPERATIONS Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2019 current employee cost $147.14 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents. Pay Rate
$109,491.09 - $142,338.41 annually (AFSCME Pay Band G) Posted Date
May 13, 2019 Closing Date
Open Until Filled Reports To
Superintendent of Operations Days Off
Variable Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees. Current Assignment
Under general direction of the Superintendent of Operations (eBART), responsible for supervising and coordinating the eBART train and passenger service operations; supervises and performs a broad range of operations duties, including but not limited to; operations staff work assignments, performs duties of central train control, field train service management, station operations and customer service. Maintains the ability to perform the duties of the Diesel Train Engineer; provides passenger safety and assistance, performs typical train, facility and station corrective actions to meet the eBART service objectives; and performs other duties as assigned. Essential Job Functions
Coordinates, supervises and performs the activities of eBART train service operations, train control, station functions and passenger services. Oversees and assists operations staff in providing safe and reliable train service. Monitors, responds and communicates train control functions from the eBART Operations Control Center, Field Control Center, Maintenance Facility and Stations. Provides active supervision and decision making vital to the safe and efficient delivery of service. Supervises Train Engineers, Custodians, Vehicle Mechanics, MOW and other personnel when work on or about the railroad right of way. Applies and enforces Roadway Worker Protection, policies and procedures. Oversees and performs all aspects of facilities and stations operations including customer service, equipment operation and appearance; performs corrective actions to restore services and equipment to meet service requirements; including inspections, repairs and cleaning as required. Retains the mobility to respond throughout the eBART system to; emergencies, train or customer service relate issues, delays and/or other staff assistance. Takes corrective action to alleviate incidents or delays, in line with eBART policies and procedures. Evaluates operations and passenger service to ensure that systems and services are functioning properly, meet service goals, and that eBART and regulatory policies, procedures and regulations are being followed and met. Assists in investigations and prepares reports; maintains accurate records as required for safety, operations and other reporting; develops operation plans and procedures, training programs, evaluation and qualification criteria. Must develop and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, managers, contractors, customers, safety, regulatory and public officials, in the performance of duties. Attend and participate in meetings, committees, presentations and reports; provides assistance to management staff as required. Performs other duties as assigned. Other Requirements:
- Must complete all eBART certifications during the certification period.
- Must learn and comply to all General Code of Operating Rules, California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulations, Roadway Worker Protection policies, eBART and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA ) safety rules.
- Possess a valid California Driver's License and have a satisfactory driving record.
- Must meet vision and color recognition requirements.
- Demonstrate clear and concise oral and written communication skills.
- Able to lift, position or carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Able to work in cramped enclosed, confined, elevated or awkward spaces.
- Able to stoop, bend, crouch, crawl, climb; or walk long distances over uneven terrain.
- Work in an environment with potential noise, respiratory or visual hazards.
- Operations management functions, services and activities of a passenger transportation system; Central Train Control, transit rail policies, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge and application of General Code of Operating Rules (GCOR), Federal Railway Administrations (FRA), California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulations.
- Principles of supervision, training, performance evaluation, customer service; administrative procedures, reporting, communications, use of typical industry computer programs.
- District and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) health and safety rules and regulations, hazardous materials handling; and emergency response coordination.
- Leading, supervising and motivating staff; completing performance evaluations, conducting training classes, enforcing District policies, rules and procedures, promoting safety practices.
- Analyzing, ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in written reports; by the use of typical office equipment, computer programs, audio visual equipment.
- Use of common shop machinery, working conditions, physical and/or environmental.
- Developing and administering department goals, objectives and procedures.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- High school diploma, GED or recognized equivalent. Bachelor's degree in business, public or transportation administration, or closely related field is preferred.
- Five years of verifiable railroad or rail transit operations or maintenance experience; work history including a minimum of two years in a supervisory or management role.
- Experience as a railroad or rail transit Dispatcher, Train Controller, Road Foreman or Trainmaster.
- Experience and Certification as a railroad or transit Locomotive Engineer is preferred.
- Additional Professional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a case by case basis.
This position is represented by American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and/or an individual or panel interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S.; pass a pre-employment medical examination which includes a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations)
The selection process for this position will be in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement. Application Process
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement. Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at email@example.com .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs. Other Information
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
Please note that any job announcement may be canceled at any time. Note
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at email@example.com , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.