Water Safety Instructor I - II (Temporary) Job Requisition Number
COA079712 Position Number
T93005 Job Type
Part-Time Division Name
Parks & Recreation Minimum Qualifications
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Must be at least 16 years old.Notes to Applicants
- Resume will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Detailed, complete Employment Application is required to help better evaluate the applicant's qualifications - minimum and preferred as noted on the job posting.
- Detailed, complete Employment Application (employment dates must include month and year) will be used to determine salary if the applicant is the top candidate that is selected for this position.
- Applicants must include on their Employment Application all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 yrs or more.
- Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application - Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted.
- Employment history dates must include month and year.
- This is a multi-position posting and multiple candidates will be hired from this recruitment. If you are not contacted 10 business days after the recruitment closes, you are not moving forward in the recruitment process and we encourage you to review our other City of Austin recruitments.
Physical Requirements :
- Tasks may involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues.
Driver's License and Certifications:
- If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Military/Veteran Preference for Interview Process:
- An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
$16.00 - $16.50 per hour. Hours
Job Close Date
- Various Shifts - up to 40 hours per week.
- Includes holidays, weekends, and evenings.
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
08/31/2019 Type of Posting
Parks & Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
City of Austin Neighborhood and Municipal Pools Preferred Qualifications
Applicants must take and pass Certification Training offered by the Parks and Recreation Department. Certifications include:
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor R-09;
- CPR for Adult, Child & Infant;
- First Aid.
- Must take and pass the Parks and Recreation Department CPR City Skills Test before hire.
No teaching experience required for this position.
Training information may be obtained during initial interview.
Other preferred experience:
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Team player with excellent customer service skills and schedule flexibility.
- Excellent communication skills, organizational skills, problem solving skills, and the ability to multitask, is preferred.
- Experience communicating information clearly and concisely in person, by phone, etc., while exercising tact, patience and discretion in a professional demeanor.
- Great people skills.
- Have the ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions, and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Instructs various levels of classes, pre-school through Community Water Safety.
- If qualified, may work as a Lifeguard or a Head Lifeguard.
- Must be able to verbally communicate with public and staff effectively.
- Assists in organizing and conducting recreation activities.
- Plans, organizes and leads program activities.
- Maintains, inventories and cares for City property and equipment.
- Keeps supervisor informed of materials and supplies necessary to conduct programs.
- Cleans program areas after completion of activities and at end of work day.
- Demonstrates cooperative behavior with team, supervisors and the public.
- Leads, teaches, demonstrates and officiates recreational activities for a variety of age groups.
- Monitors and records compliance with safety and department guidelines and rules.
- Maintains attendance, activity, supply and equipment records.
- Assists in development of lesson or activity plans and program evaluations.
- Assists in the use of equipment and supplies.
- Communicates with a wide range of people
- Provides information and directions.
- Encourages and guides participants.
- Sets up equipment for scheduled recreational activities/events.
- May include cashiering duties.
- May give direction to program volunteers on specific activities or projects.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of general safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of First Aid.
- Basic knowledge of personal computer operation.
- Ability to learn, use and care of equipment and supply.
- Ability to provide guidance and instructions.
- Ability to communicate activity objectives, programs, information and directions.
- Ability to conduct games and activities following established rules, guidelines.
- Ability to retain and use safety rules and department guidelines.
- Ability to evaluate program activities verbally and in writing.
- Ability to acquire First Aid and Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation certification prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Ability to plan, organize, motivate, lead, and promote a variety of recreational activities for different age groups with diverse interests and varying skill levels.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, volunteers, supervisors, and the general public.
- Ability to handle requests, inquiries, and complaints in a cooperative, constructive manner.
- Ability to work outdoors and under a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to work irregular hours.
- Ability to frequently walk and sit when leading various recreational activities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires that applicants be at least 16 years of age or older. Do you meet this minimum qualification?
- * This position requires a criminal background investigation. Do you agree to submit to a Criminal Background Investigation?
- * Have you ever been issued American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR/AED for Lifeguards, First Aid certifications?
- * Do you hold a current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI)?
- * Have you previously worked for the City of Austin Aquatic Division? If yes, when was the last year that you worked?
(Open Ended Question)
- * List all valid certifications or licenses you currently hold.
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position requires traveling to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
- * This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such.
- I acknowledge this statement
Optional & Required Documents
Required DocumentsOptional Documents
- Cover Letter