The San Mateo County Libraries is seeking applicants for the positions of Library Aide
. The Library Aide position is a part time, extra-help positionassigned to the Foster City Library.
San Mateo County Libraries (SMCL) ignites growth through transformative experiences. SMCL connects people to exciting and valuable services, programs, resources, and more. The successful applicant will provide behind the scenes support, as well as work directly with the public. This position combines processing and shelving library materials, creating displays, merchandising and refreshing collections, greeting library patrons, and providing basic customer service. Library Aides have the opportunity to provide support to programs and outreach events that include story times, play facilitation, hands-on craft and STEM activities for children, book clubs, technology instruction, and music events for teens and adults! This is an opportunity to join a dynamic public services team and to make a positive impact in the community!
Library Aides must be available to work a schedule that typically includes a combination of day, evening, and weekend shifts. The positions are part time and extra-help, and will generally work 10-20 hours per week. Extra-help staff members are limited to working 1040 hours within a fiscal year, or an average of 20 hours per week.
Flexibility to cover additional shifts during library open hours (see https://smcl.bibliocommons.com/locations
) is preferred.IDEAL CANDIDATES
We seek candidates who are interested in working in the library environment and maintaining a customer-friendly library. We are interested in individuals who are comfortable working both independently and with the public. Comfort with technology is desirable. In some community libraries, the ability to speak a second language is preferred, but not required. Attention to detail is critical for success in this position. Individuals who are interested in library careers have the opportunity to learn and grow in the Library Aide position.
The ideal candidate
will have the ability to:
- Shelve materials, create and fill displays, and maintain a beautiful library.
- Provide friendly, enthusiastic customer service.
- Perform physical tasks such as lifting and moving library materials.
- Perform tasks to aid in getting library materials shelf-ready, such as labeling and processing.
- Work independently, follow through on tasks, and be a self-starter.
- Support co-workers in providing excellent customer service, programs, and outreach.
- Grow and develop new skills in your position.
In addition, the ideal candidate
will also have:
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis.Some extra help positions are eligible for benefitsundertheAffordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
- A passion for serving the community and working with people.
- Interest and experience working with families and children - in an educational or social services environment.
- An interest in, or experience working with, technology.
- An eye for detail, creativity, and flexibility.
- Bilingual language skills are preferred, but not required for this position.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
Skill / Ability to:
- Library functions and purposes.
- Carry out written and oral instructions about library routines; file books and periodicals according to established library systems; and alphabetize, read, and perform simple arithmetic.
Application/Examination This is an extra-help assignment. Anyone may apply.Final Filing Date: ContinuousIf you are interested in being considered for this position, the following materials must be electronically submitted via email in a Word or PDF format:
- A cover letter which includes your responses to the following questions:
- Please briefly describe why you are excited about working for the Library.
- Because of the diverse population in San Mateo County, some of the libraries hire Library Aides who have bilingual language skills. If you have bilingual language skills, please list any languages in which you are fluent.
- Describe an experience when you received excellent customer service.
Please include thewords"Library Aide -Foster CityLibrary (Part Time / Extra-Help)"
in the subject line
of email submission.All submitted materials should be in a Word or PDF format. Submittals that do not include all required documents (Resume and Responses to the Supplemental Questions) will not be considered.Applications are not accepted online.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.Please submit all of the materials listed, via email as soon as possible to:Anna Koch, Library Branch Manager, email@example.com ANDElise Staples, Senior Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.orgAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.