Requisition Number: 51893
Department: Code Compliance
Is it important to you that your work impacts your community positively - presently and in generations to come, and advances the common good? Do you have a passion for the environment? Do you appreciate being challenged? If you enjoy working in a small team and are a problem solver and a multi-tasker, we may have the right position for you!
The City of Fort Worth is seeking to hire a Material Management Planner
for the Code Compliance Department, Solid Waste Services Division. The Material Management Planner is responsible for advancing the diversion of commercial waste away from the City's landfill.
The City's Material Management Program key focus is the preservation of landfill capacity and the extension of the life of the site through sustainable waste and resource management: through waste minimization, reuse, recycling, composting, or other diversion methods.
The position is responsible for reaching out to and assisting local businesses, institutions, and residents in establishing adequate levels of sustainable waste management, diversion activities and recycling programs, while providing them with information on waste reduction, reuse, recycling, composting, energy recovery, and waste disposal.
Regular work schedule is a 40-hour week from Monday through Friday. Candidate must be able to work occasional nights and weekends as needed for special events and projects. The ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge and experience in the following areas :
- Sales and marketing activities related to account development and enhancement. In the Material Management Planner position, these skills would translate into helping businesses and institutions develop financially or otherwise beneficial material management and waste diversion programs through technical, operational, and design assistance.
- Provide excellent customer service while actively engaging a diverse variety of program stakeholders at all levels (entry level staff up to executive management), across a variety of industries, implement sustainable, lasting changes.
- Conducting research, compiling data, analyzing results, and preparing reports.
- Communicating clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing. Presenting to groups of varying size.
- Reading and interpretation of development site plans and construction.
- Research and stay actively familiar with the sustainable materials management, solid waste, recycling and composting industry practices, as well as develop knowledge of commodities pricing, the bidding of commercial collection services, service delivery systems, and recycling market opportunities.
- Identify and recruit businesses during all lifecycles - from the development phase to established businesses - to participate in the City's Material Management Program.
- Provide on-site waste assessments to determine the waste minimization techniques for participating businesses. Research, analyze and design customized material management plans and assist with their implementation. Provide technical trainings; conduct waste reduction workshops; provide expertise to businesses on minimization and waste reduction techniques.
- Provide on-going customer service by responding to questions and providing information on inquiries about the provision of service and material diversion alternatives.
- Work closely with Keep Fort Worth Beautiful, Community Engagement, Water, and other City departments to further the Material Management Program's and the 2017-2037 Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan's goals.
A combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the essential duties of the position. Typically candidates will have a B.S. or B.A. in the following or related fields: Urban Planning; Environmental Science; Biology; Earth Sciences; Marketing; or Business and
two-years of experience in the solid waste, recycling, composting or related industry. Experience with sales and marketing; and researching, submitting and/or administering grants preferred. Experience in the solid waste, recycling, composting or related industry preferred but not mandatory. Other Requirements
Valid Texas driver's license.
Closing Date/Time: 6/17/19