The Position The City of Portland, Bureau of Human Resources, is seeking a Workforce Recruitment and Training Manager.
Thenext application review will consist of all applications received from 12:01 AM Tuesday, June18th, 2019 through 11:59 PMMonday, July15th, 2019.If you are notified that you have been placed on the eligible list, you do NOT need to reapply and will remain on the list.
Do you want to make a positive difference in your community? Do you believe that employees--people--are the most important and valuable asset in any organization? We do. If you are committed to attracting and retaining the very best employees in the country, read on. We'd like to talk to you.
The Workforce Recruitment & Training Manager serves as a key advisor to and is a member of the Bureau of Human Resources senior management team. This proactive Manager is responsible for directing and managing the City's recruitment, training and outreach programs, as well as ensuring compliance with the City's policies regarding Affirmative Action and Diversity. The incumbent oversees recruitment processes as well as developing City-wide policies impacting recruitment, training and outreach practices; oversees the production and implementation of affirmative action plans/programs and monitors results to ensure compliance with federal, state and local equal employment laws, policies and guidelines; and advises bureaus based on the measurement of their affirmative action results.
This position directs the Workforce Recruitment & Trainingprogram by creating strategies to link the City's recruitment & training efforts to educational programs and other resources in the community; coordinates activities with other internal and external agencies to ensure compliance with and implementation of established human resources policies, objectives, program priorities and applicable laws, rules and regulations. The Workforce Recruitment & Training Manager works closely with elected officials, the Office of Equity and Human rights, and with community groups to establish partnerships and ensure the alignment of City policies with practices regarding equity and diversity in the workplace.
Competitive candidates will have progressive leadership experience and responsibility for managing human resources functions in a large organization; senior-level management experience, including a proven track record in developing strategic plans and directions, creating and implementing data-driven program and/or policy changes, balancing multiple and diverse customer needs, and managing professional and administrative staff. Why join the City of Portland?
The City of Portland is committed to offering medical, dental, vision, basic life, and long-term disability coverage that provides quality care, support and value to eligible employees and their family members. Additional benefits such as flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance and employee assistance program coverage are available to ensure employees have the appropriate tools to safeguard themselves and their family.The City of Portland also participates inPERS, the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System. For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please clickhere
.To Qualify The following minimum qualifications are required for this position and should be reflected in your cover letter and resume:
Experience in a public agency is preferred. The Recruitment Process
- Knowledge and experience working in increasingly responsible positions applying the principles and practices of public sector personnel administration including recruitment, testing, classification, employee development, performance planning and appraisal, and effective business communication.
- Knowledge of and experience using a variety of methods and tools, including social media and applicant tracking system software, to market employment opportunities and ensure the workforce reflects the diversity of those who seek and receive City services.
- Knowledge of human resources management issues including the principles of equity and inclusion to create sustainable employment opportunities for diverse and underserved populations of job seekers.
- Skill and experience in planning, organizing and implementing comprehensive City-wide outreach and recruitment programs and workforce planning initiatives based on the goals and objectives of the City's Affirmative Action and Equity Plans.
- Knowledge of and experience applying the principles and practices of effective supervision including leading and developing teams.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their cover letter and resume weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested.
Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional Information Application InstructionsApplicants must submit a cover letter and professional résuméonline, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested .
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted
. If you are requesting Veteran's Preference
, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and/or Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting an accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement.Questions?
Terrol Johnson, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human ResourcesTerrol.Johnson@portlandoregon.gov
(503) 823-3172 An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Closing Date/Time: 9/16/2019 12:00 AM Pacific