Have a passion for creating business solutions using technology? Enjoy connecting business opportunities to cost-effective technology software tools? Take pride in putting in place high-quality and user-centered digital applications? If you have answered yes, then we encourage you to continue reading, as we may have a match! Department Overview
The City of Seattle is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director of Platform Applications with Seattle Information Technology (IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 700+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team
and set best practices for others to follow. Job Responsibilities Position Description :
The Director of Platform Applications position serves as the executive staff member is accountable to implement stable platform environments that continue to provide new functionalities for the business. This role will be responsible for conducting detailed assessments of all existing platforms with a multi-year outlook of migrations/sustainment activities. In conjunction with Business Applications identify/plan/implement a multi-year program for all practical migrations of business applications to existing platforms, to meet the business service needs, and driving to build a Best in Class Digital Service Delivery team. This role reports to the Chief Technology Officer and is a member of the department's Executive Leadership Team.
This position will manage the following applications and development staff as those teams: Quality Assurance, Database Analysts, Service Oriented Architecture, Integration Services, Access Management, and Solution Architects. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Play a key leadership role developing and executing strategies that meet business objectives and enables critical decision making.
- Implement a stable Accela platform environment that continues to provide new functionalities for the business.
- Build the roadmap for maturing our services in Quality Assurance, Database Analysts, Service Oriented Architecture, Integration Services, Access Management, and Solution Architects in partnership with the Enterprise Architecture team and IT Directors.
- Build and develop a cross functional team that is innovative, adaptable, responsive, and agile.
- Work collaboratively throughout the organization on the execution of the Seattle IT vision, strategy, and roadmaps to ensure success.
- Act as both internal customer and product advocate, leading and directing internal and external teams.
- Identify new product ideas, monitor customer trends, develop and test concepts, and measure performance.
- Execute product strategies and create/maintain product roadmaps that prioritize customer needs and lead to cost effective service delivery.
- Lead, inspire, manage, and motivate a team Application and Service Managers. Develop and grow their managerial and technical skills.
- Develop and manage strategic product lifecycles from opportunity assessment, initial planning phase, and tactical activities thru to implementation and deployment. Larger more complex project may require Project Manager support from the PMO.
- Assist the IT Directors with translating business goals, feature concepts, vendor solutions and customer needs into comprehensive requirements and compelling business plans.
- Manage scope, resources, timelines, expectations, and deliverables to deliver quality and balanced products on time and on budget.
- Build consensus and drive collaboration across teams, stakeholders, and external business partners (vendors).
- Articulate and drive resolution to issues and foster communication in all directions. Adeptly deliver tough messages in a way the builds partnerships and inspires action.
- Manage vendor software and consulting partnerships that support our platforms.
- Manage key vendor partnerships across product lines to execute on business plans and support ongoing growth.
- Work closely with leadership to define and communicate ongoing product roadmaps to continually improve the customer experience based on ongoing research, customer feedback and performance.
- Prepare and present business cases that clearly describe strategy and tactical objectives to stakeholders and all levels executive leadership to define continual product improvement.
- Define and analyze comprehensive metrics to inform the success of products post implementation and ongoing strategic planning.
- Measure and monitor performance to quantify the benefits and return on investments.
- Manage communication at all level of leadership regarding product goals and progress to goals.
- Lead detailed retrospective sessions to achieve continuous improvement, challenging the status quo.
- Constantly evaluate and improve the tools and processes used to effectively deliver BI and Analytics products more rapidly and cost effectively.
- Other assignments commensurate with an Exec 2 level.
Equivalent combinations of education training and/or experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
- Extensive proven leadership and advancement in IT Applications Management.
- Demonstrated experience engaging with all levels of management including senior level executives.
- Demonstrated strong vendor management skills.
- Proven leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Detailed knowledge of project management and application development and support methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience with Waterfall, Agile and Iterative development.
- Experience with enterprise applications, COTS, SaaS solutions and complex systems integrations.
- Practical change management experience.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior experience in leveraging performance management to create high productivity teams.
- Demonstrated experience to presenting to an organization's senior leadership.
- Seasoned facilitator of discussions amongst diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to build trust and engagement with executives, customers, peers and team.
- Seize opportunities to learn.
- Understand the importance of teamwork, building relationships and facilitation.
- Ability to produce high quality deliverables while maintaining schedule commitments.
- Experience creating strong working relationships with co-workers in business units, technology teams and across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a project team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in order to convey technical information to non-technical staff or customers; commitment to excellent customer service; outstanding customer relationship skills.
- Proven ability to proactively solve problems and recommend solutions. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Process orientation with strong attention to detail.
- High energy; able to deal with demanding pace and changing priorities and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, use good judgment and discretion, and interact with diverse workforce within the City and customer base.
Submit cover letter & resume along with NeoGov application.NOTE:
Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive criminal background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17. Background investigation may include CJIS certification conducted under the purview of Seattle Police Department. Additional Information Desired Qualifications:
- Experience with managed services contracts and Service Level Agreements.
- Prior experience of building programs and initiatives using design thinking principles.
- Prior experience building programs and initiatives using systems thinking principles.
- Working knowledge of Oracle and Microsoft applications and systems.
- Government/public sector experience.
- Ability to work non-business hours.
- Ability to work On-call.
- Occasional travel to offsite facilities and remote locations may be necessary.
The City of Seattle offers an excellent benefit package. This includes an option of four medical plans, two dental plans, vision care, and membership in the City's Employee Retirement System. Employees are afforded ten paid holidays plus two personal holidays; vacation and sick leave hours accrue with service time; this position is eligible for Executive and Merit Leave. Additional benefits such as Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Flexible Spending, Deferred Compensation, etc. are also available with minimal cost to employees.
Closing Date/Time: 6/18/2019 4:00 PM Pacific