About Our Job
This Parks Senior Utility Worker is an on call position that will support park maintenance operations in Denver's Northeast Park District. While this position will perform a wide variety of general park maintenance duties including performing lead work over less experienced workers, this position will be focused on turf management (mowing, fertility, renovation, etc.) - this is a great opportunity for someone looking to develop turf management skills and build rapport in a lead position.
This is an on-call position which will work no more than 39 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules. While the full pay range of this Job Classification is $16.81 - $24.54, our target hiring pay rate for this position is $16.81.
This position will work 6am-2:30pm M-F (some weekends) and will report to Lowry District Office 8540 E. Lowry Blvd Denver CO. These positions will support parks within Denver's Northeast Parks Maintenance District (see district map here: https://www.denvergov.org/content/dam/denvergov/Portals/747/documents/parks/DPR-maintenance-districts.pdf
Skills to be developed and utilized:
- Working outdoors in parks using and maintaining various hand-powered tools and motorized equipment in a safe and efficient manner and demonstrating proper use as needed
- Supporting park operations special projects or events, such as, but not limited to small to large permitted parks events or other special, renovation projects, etc.
- Landscape maintenance duties such as:
- turf maintenance (e.g. laying sod, fertilizing, mowing, edging, raking)
- irrigation (minor maintenance, repair, troubleshooting and use of central control systems)
- ornamental/garden maintenance (planting, weeding, minor pruning)
- Infrastructure maintenance and repair such as fencing, asphalt, concrete, trails work, grade work/erosion control
- Exercising leadership skills over less experienced parks workers and serving as an example of proper work skills including training and supporting the development and orientation of workers
- Working collaboratively and building strong working relationships with park maintenance generalists and/or specialists such as Irrigation Maintenance Technicians, Horticultural Workers, Park Horticulturists, and other experts in unique green industry fields and skilled trades work
- Snow removal operations such as plowing, shoveling, de-icing
Various related duties assigned as needed such as trash collection, bathroom maintenance and cleaning, vandalism repair/graffiti removalAbout You
We are looking for a knowledgeable and experienced parks professionals who are looking to develop their skills and build rapport on a team in order to poise themselves for further career growth. Our ideal candidate will be adept with safety considerations and skilled in both building strong working relationships and capitalizing on their leadership skills. Additionally, our ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience with turf management best practices and equipment operation; mowing, fertilizing, renovation, etc.
- Well-rounded variety of parks maintenance experience
- Ability to learn proficiency, demonstrate and train others on best practices with various parks maintenance skills
We realize that your time is valuable so please do not apply unless you meet the following minimum qualification:
About Everything Else
- One (1) year of experience performing unskilled labor work.
- Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
CJ2041 Utility Worker Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Pay Range $16.81 - $24.54
Parks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here