Announcement Number: 315593179
NORTHERN NEVADA OFFICE
1150 E. William Street
Carson City, Nevada 89701-3109
• Fax (775) 684-6110 http://puc.nv.gov
SOUTHERN NEVADA OFFICE
9075 W. Diablo Drive, Suite 250
Las Vegas, Nevada 89148
• Fax (702) 486-7206
STATE OF NEVADA
PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION
Unclassified Job Announcement
SR ATTORNEY (ASSISTANT STAFF COUNSEL)
The Public Utilities Commission of Nevada (PUCN) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Senior
Attorney in Staff Counsel. This is an unclassified, at-will, full-time exempt position within the State of
About the PUCN: The PUCN is a quasi-judicial regulatory agency that, among other duties, ensures investor-
owned utilities comply with all applicable state and federal laws. For more information about the agency,
please visit the PUCN website at http://puc.nv.gov.
The Position's Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Handles complex legal issues
• Provides advice and counsel related to utility regulation including tariff review, proposed legislation
and compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Reviews decisions of courts, other states and the federal government to determine precedent in
regulatory legal matters.
• Advises Staff Counsel, the Director of Regulatory Operations, Commissioners and the Utilities
Hearing Officer on probable legal or other impact of Commission decisions and proposed changes in
rules, regulations and applicable laws.
• Reviews files, records and briefs.
• Prepares legal strategy and coordinates case execution.
• Formulates data requests.
• Reviews filings for legal adequacy and content.
• Prepares legal comments, briefs, responses to petitions, drafting stipulations, and other legal
• Reviews, coordinates, and maintains Staff data requests and responses.
• Prepares testimony and other filings for compliance with Nevada Statutes and regulations.
• Assists in the development and/or review of proposed regulations and legislation.
• Represents Staff at hearings and workshops before the Commission.
• Cross examines witnesses.
• Prepares and executes protective agreements for receipt of confidential material.
• Maintains Staff confidential files.
• Provides other legal support and assistance to Staff divisions as necessary.
• Provides support to the Commission for legislative hearings and inquiries, to include preparing and
presenting testimony to legislative committees.
• Makes presentations to various state, local and federal agencies.
• May be expected to perform additional job-related duties and to have or develop additional specific
job-related knowledge and skills.
Must be highly professional, well-organized, self-motivated, and possess leadership skills. Must be able to
work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment in collaboration with other
legal staff, engineers, auditors, and economists; compile and summarize information and prepare
correspondence, periodic or special reports related to assignments; and contribute effectively to the
accomplishment of the team or agency goals, objectives, and activities. Must possess skill in effective written
and verbal communication; required skills also include planning, prioritizing and executing timelines without
the need for supervision. Must be available for travel (typically up to 25% of the time).
Graduation from an accredited law school, active membership in the Nevada State Bar, and one year
experience as an attorney.
Salary: Salary reflecting retirement (PERS) contributions by both the employee and the employer is up to
$116,839 ($102,490 for employer only contribution). Salary offers are based on a wide array of factors such
as a candidate's experience, skills, and education.
Benefits: The State benefits package includes enrollment into the Public Employees' Retirement System
(www.nvpers.org), a choice of health insurance plans (www.pebp.state.nv.us), eleven paid holidays, and paid
annual leave and sick leave, after appropriate waiting periods. Other optional benefits are also available,
including a deferred compensation program.
Position Location: The position will be located in Las Vegas or Carson City.
Application Deadline: Recruitment needs are satisfied.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to:
Public Utilities Commission of Nevada
In subject line please reference: Staff Counsel Senior Attorney Position
Closing Date/Time: Until recruitment needs are satisfied