Description ** MUST BE CURRENTLY ENROLLED AND ATTENDING a Florida Police Academy and seeks employment with the City of Sanibel upon receiving certification. Duties ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES UPON APPOINTMENT
Required Education, Experience, License, Registration, and Certification Qualifications APPLICANT MUST BE CURRENTLY ATTENDING A FLORIDA POLICE ACADEMY AND HAVE
- Responds to calls regarding public disturbances, criminal, civil, or emergency situations. Responds as requested to provide back-up for Sheriff's office.
- Detects and prevents criminal activities by surveillance of assigned business and residential areas. Notes possible criminal occurrences and takes steps to prevent criminal actions.
- Promotes crime prevention by initiating contact with businesses and residents including explaining applicable laws, soliciting cooperation in crime reporting, and otherwise creating a good rapport with area citizens.
- Investigates crime scenes or accidents. Protects evidence, takes testimony, contacts witnesses, and assists in the investigation.
- Inspects alcoholic beverage businesses and enforces laws and ordinance relating to consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Enforces traffic laws and vehicle codes and promotes traffic safety. Notes illegal or unsafe driving practices and advises or makes arrests as appropriate. Directs traffic, reports unsafe road conditions, and otherwise promotes vehicular and pedestrian safety.
- Patrols back roads and beach areas to detect smuggling activities.
- Prepares a variety of daily and other reports related to crimes, accidents, and other duties. Maintains logs, completes forms, and prepares disposition and speed reports as requested.
- Provides a variety of related services. Transports and fingerprints prisoners, provides assistance to motorists, resolves domestic disturbances, and gives talks before civic groups.
- Responds to calls from citizens regarding nuisance or wild animals.
- Assists Coast Guard in responding to distress calls from boaters in the Sanibel area.
- Supervises support staff in records management, information processing, and traffic control.
- Supervises shift in Sergeant's absence as designated by operations Commander.
- Operates computer and supervises information processing section.
- Operates special equipment such as police boat and motorcycle.
- Provides backup to dispatchers and assumes dispatch responsibilities in dispatcher's absence.
- Functions as D.A.R.E. (Drug, Abuse, Resistance, Education) Officer and School Resource Officer when qualified and assigned.
- Trains new officer when qualified and assigned as field training officer.
: High school diploma, GED, or equivalent certificate of competency required. Must receive certification as a law enforcement officer by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement prior to employment. Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License or ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment. Requires shift, holiday and weekend work. Supplemental or Additional Information
Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of modern law enforcement.
Knowledge of applicable state, local, and federal laws and ordinances.
Knowledge of emergency medical and first aid practices.
Ability to observe and detect potential criminal activities.
Ability to coordinate activities in emergency situations.
Ability to investigate situations and to prepare written reports.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City departments, public agencies, and the general public.
Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
Skill in operating motor vehicles in hazardous situations.
Skill in the use of firearms and other police equipment.