The Portland Police Bureau (PPB) is seeking an Equityand Inclusion Coordinator to join their Equity T eam.
The Equity and Inclusion Coordinator is a member of the Equity Team located within the Strategic Services Division. The Equity Office provides overall direction and guidance, planning, policy input, strategic communication and technical and internal support for PPB. The Equity and Inclusion program oversees bureau-wide equity initiatives, supports equity committee staff members and oversees any additional equity interns or staff as assigned.
This position will serve as a key resource in helping the bureau achieve the implementation of the Portland Police Bureau's Racial Equity Plan. The Equity and Inclusion Coordinator will be a change agent. The position will serve as a project lead on the bureau's five-year racial equity plan and coordinate the implementation and tracking of both the equity plan and the Affirmative Actin Plan. The Equity and Inclusion Coordinator will work closely with community partners, develop new opportunities and strategies for community engagement and work with diverse community councils advising PPB leadership. The Coordinator will work with the program manager to identify training opportunities for our members and securing resources to build new programming structures. The Coordinator will also support the program manager with building the internal messaging of the equity program and goals. The Coordinator will provide support for the coordination of the PPB Equity Committee. The PPB Equity and Inclusion Coordinator will influence and coordinate with other managers, leadership and staff with efficiency and flexibility. This position will also coordinate with other city bureaus and the Office of Equity and Human Rights.
Additional duties include performing research on equity best practices and providing technical assistance to bureau operating departments on the utilization of racial equity assessment tools and responding to staff inquiries; maintaining a database of various programs and operational metrics related to equity, developing policy recommendations and providing quarterly reports for senior management and leadership on the bureau's equity efforts.
The City of Portland, Oregon is a growing and diverse region of 620,000 residents, nearly 20% of whom speak languages other than English at home. The Portland Police Bureau understands its responsibility to have a workforce that resembles the community it serves and to build an organizational culture that promotes equity and inclusion. PPB encourages applications from candidates with knowledge, ability and experience working with a broad range of individuals and communities with diverse racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Applicants must also possess theability to successfully pass an in-depth background investigation. Why join the City of Portland?
The City of Portland is committed to offering medical, dental, vision, basic life, and long-term disability coverage that provides quality care, support and value to eligible employees and their family members. Additional benefits such as flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance and employee assistance program coverage are available to ensure employees have the appropriate tools to safeguard themselves and their family.The City of Portland also participates inPERS, the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System. For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please clickhere
.To Qualify The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
Applicants must also possess:
- Knowledge and experience applying the theory, principles and techniques of training and instruction of adult learners.
- Knowledge and experience analyzing Equity and Diversity program needs and performance as well as administrative and operational needs.
- Ability and experience evaluating problem-solving techniques to resolve difficult issues and reach sound, logical, fact-based conclusions and recommendations to meet overall established program goals and objectives.
- Knowledge and experience coordinating program activities with multiple stakeholders to ensure agreement and consensus.
- Ability and experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with the public and others encountered in the course of work.
The Recruitment Process
- The ability to successfully pass an in-depth background investigation.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested.
Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.Some positions may require those placed on the eligible list to completeand sign a criminal background statement before being considered for employment. Recruitment Timeline:
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change Additional Information Application InstructionsApplicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions: Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Posting: 05/27/19 - 06/21/19
- Applications Reviewed: starting the week of 06/10/19
- Eligible List: week of 07/01/19
- Selection Phase Begins: Tentatively the week of 07/15/19
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested . E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
If you are requestingVeteran's Preference
, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement. Questions?
Teresa Dahrens, Senior Human Resources Analyst
Bureau of Human Resources
(503) 823-4516 An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Closing Date/Time: 7/5/2019 11:59 PM Pacific