The City of Davis Parks & Community Services Department offers various outdoor education summer camps for youth, with Camp Putah being a legacy which has captivated Davis residents for nearly 50 years. Camp Putah is held at the Riparian Reserve behind the University Airport. It is a 5-day program for 7 to 12 year old youth emphasizing outdoor education and nature exploration. Each day camp staff and participants bike from Central Park to UC Davis' Riparian Reserve where they engage in various activities including canoeing, archery, crafts, hiking and nature education with an overnight camp program on Thursday.
Applicant must be available to work Camp Putah, Week 6 (July 22-26), Week 7 (July 29-August 2), Week 9 (August 12-16) and Week 10 (August 19-23). Camp runs June 17-August 23, 2019. Candidates must be available Monday-Wednesday, 7:30 am to 3:00 pm and Thursdays from 7:00 am through 1:00 pm Friday for the weekly overnight.RECREATION LEADER II
, Community Services Specialist II,Outdoor Education Roamer for Camp Putah
$13.00/hr. Community Services Specialist II, temporary part time/seasonal Examples of Duties Duties:
Under the supervision of the Program Manager and Senior Recreation Leader, the Recreation Leader position assists in the implementation of daily operations for Camp Putah.Typical Responsibilities:
Typical Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
- Be a positive role model to elementary school-aged children
- Initiate and lead activities including canoeing, archery, hikes, crafts, games and bicycling in a rural, outdoor setting
- Ensure the safety and supervision of campers, equipment and facilities
- Keep work environments clean and organized, follow the "leave no trace" principles
- Communicate with parents regarding camper behavior, injuries and other relevant camp information
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and other City staff
- Assist in the training, supervision and coaching of camp volunteers
- Renders first aid as necessary
- Attends weekly staff meetings as assigned
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age or have education equivalent to completion of high school
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR before the start of program
- Experience working in a day camp setting with large groups of youth
- Knowledge of nature study, arts and crafts, camping and outdoor recreation skills
- Knowledge of best practices in youth development, including behavior management and positive role modeling
- Ability to demonstrate strong skills in leadership and team building
- Ability to provide strong internal and external customer service
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents, children, camp staff, and other City employees
- Ability to display good judgment, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to bike up to ten (10) miles per day
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is an active position requiring the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, stand, walk and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 50 lbs.; verbal and hearing skills to effectively communicate with others; visual acuity to read, view a computer terminal, and make observations. Work is done mainly outdoors, with exposure to heat, often over 100 degrees, sun, noise, dust, and pollens. Potential for exposure to blood borne pathogens when rendering first aid. Potential hazards from proximity to moving vehicles. Supplemental Information To Apply:
A City of Davis online employment application must be submitted to be considered for these positions; paper applications will not be accepted . To apply, please go online at www.cityofdavis.org PLEASE NOTE: All applicants will be notified via email. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
The City of Davis encourages applications from qualified women and minorities. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability or sexual preference.NOTES
Information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and the provisions are subject to change. According to the Federal Reform and Control Act, the City of Davis is required to hire only U.S. citizens or aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
If you require accommodation during any phase of this recruitment process, please contact theHuman Resources office at (530)757-5644 or TDD(530)757-5666.
The City of Davis has a no smoking policy for all city facilities.