THE POSITION Please note:
Employment dates for this position are from May to August, possibly September.Although this recruitment has multiple-cutoffs, only one application needs to be submitted. If duplicate applications are submitted, only one application will be accepted.NON-CAREER PART-TIME/SEASONALPlease Note: Room and Board is included.DEFINITION
Under general supervision, coordinate and lead activities at Camp Sacramento in the areas of athletics, nature, music, or arts and crafts.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Direction is provided by a higher-level position. Camp Recreation Leaders do not supervise.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. The Camp Recreation Leader is distinguished from the Camp Aide in that the latter assists in delivering recreation programs and activities and may perform a variety of other tasks such as, sales transactions, cleaning, and light maintenance. The Camp Recreation Leader is distinguished from the Senior Camp Aquatics Leader in that the the latter is responsible for performing open water lifeguard duties in addition to leading recreation activities at Camp Sacramento.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Organize and lead hikes for participants in areas surrounding Camp Sacramento.
- Train staff on hike and trail routes; encourage an appreciation for the environment.
- Interact positively with elementary aged youth, adolescents, and adults.
- Lead recreation activities for all ages.
- Inventory, maintain, clean, and organize recreation and activity supplies and equipment; recommend replacement of supplies and equipment, as necessary.
- Oversee softball, volleyball, basketball, and other camp team sports; officiate camp athletic events.
- Organize and oversee tournaments for all ages, such as ping pong, pool, etc.
- Clean and maintain all athletic facilities and surrounding areas.
- Assist with the development of arts and crafts activities and lead the instruction of these activities; lead kiln firings.
- Assist in music related events/shows, camp fires, dances, and movie activities.
- Oversee auditions and organize acts for camp talent show.
- Assist Senior Camp Aquatics Leaders during water recreation to include, contacting emergency personnel and senior Camp Sacramento staff during emergency situations; clearing the area for emergency response; maintaining surveillance of the beach and river; and, being alert to signs of distress, or calls for help.
- Follow all staff policies and procedures.
- Perform related dues as required.
QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of:
- Basic knowledge of Sierra flora and fauna.
- Arts and crafts.
- Outdoor safety awareness.
- Softball, volleyball, basketball, and other team sport rules.
- Principles of customer service.
- Lead group hikes of various levels of difficulty.
- Assist with and participate in recreational activities and programs.
- Be flexible.
- Speak in front of large groups.
- Maintain constant focus and observation of an assigned area for persons in distress or hazardous conditions and take appropriate action.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public.
- Read, write, and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Three (3) months of experience leading recreation activities.SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONSAssignment Areas:Nature
Previous classroom or daycare experience is strongly recommended for this assignment area.Arts and Crafts
A strong customer service and/or teaching background is desirable.Music and Campfire
Guitar skills and vocal ability are required. Possession of peer leadership, stage presence, and public speaking skills are important for successful performance in this assignment area.Age:
Must be at least 18 years old by time of appointment.Assessments:
Must successfully pass a physical and criminal background check.Driver License:
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Loss of the Class C License is cause for discipline. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.Training:
Successful candidates must participate in a mandatory staff training that is typically conducted in late May or early June of each year.Transportation:
Successful candidates must provide their own transportation to the Camp Sacramento site.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.Physical Requirements
Work duties require the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving walking, bending, stooping; and standing for extended periods of time on hard surfaces; and, lifting and carrying, materials and objects weighing 30 to 50 pounds. Employees must be able to work outside in various types of weather, terrains, and elevations.Working Conditions
Camp Sacramento is situated in the Eldorado National Forest located in Twin Bridges, California. Employees are required to reside at Camp Sacramento May to August, with the possibility to extend through September. Employees in this position are required to work weekend and night shifts and are exposed to cold weather conditions.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submitonline
a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline (Open/Continuous
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the "Work Experience" section.Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX to (196) 596-1556, or by mail. If submitting in person, by mail or via FAX, please include your name andRecruitment #009022-19-YPCE-2
on your documents.2. Supplemental Questionnaire:
(Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire .
: (Pass/Fail)- Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.4. Hiring Interview:
Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.5. Conditional Hire:
Upon receipt of a conditional offer or hire, the candidates will go through the process of certification, finger print/background clearance andmedical clearance.QUESTIONS:
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process: