The City of Portland's Bureau of Parks and Recreation is seeking a Property and Business Development Manager. This position plans organizes, directs, and evaluates the programs, activities, and personnel of the Portland Parks & Recreation Property and Business Development team, including 6 direct reports and over 30 team members.
This position oversees a team that is responsible for managing City-owned properties and facilities, including over 11,600 acres of parkland; negotiates and manages leases for the City as tenant in non-City-owned property; advises and participates in the sale and purchase of real properties; negotiates and manages leases of City-owned real property by non-City tenants; negotiates and manages a variety of license and partnership agreements with public and private partners; leads Park permitting policy creation, and implementation of all park permits through Portland Parks & Recreation's Customer Service Center; and serves as a member of Portland Parks & Recreation's Senior Management Team by participating in setting the strategic direction and policy of the Bureau (particularly relating to Bureau's business development, real estate, Park permitting, partnership development, and other Bureau-wide strategic business improvement initiatives). Competitive candidates will possess a combination of education and experience that can be applied to this position, including business development, relationship management, real property experience, financial and organizational management.
The City of Portland, Oregon is a growing and diverse city of 639,000 residents, nearly 20% of whom speak languages other than English at home. PP&R values a diverse workforce and seeks ways to promote equity and inclusion within the organization and with the public. PP&R encourages applications from candidates with knowledge, ability and experience working with a broad range of individuals and communities with diverse racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Although not required, PP&R encourages candidates that can fluently speak another language to include that information in their resume. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland is committed to offering medical, dental, vision, basic life, and long-term disability coverage that provides quality care, support and value to eligible employees and their family members. Additional benefits such as flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance, and employee assistance program coverageareavailable to ensure employees have the appropriate tools to safeguard themselves and their family.The City of Portland also participates inPERSthe Oregon Public Employees Retirement System. For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please clickhere
Join us for an Optional Information Session
to learn more about this position and the qualifications (see below for details. To Qualify Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in theirresponses to the supplemental questions and résuméhow their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
The Recruitment Process
- Knowledge and experience applying the current trends in the fields of business development, public-private partnerships, and the acquisition, management, and disposition of property.
- Ability and experience negotiating effectively, including leases, development agreements, and complex partnership contracts; understanding, interpreting and explaining contractual provisions and contingencies.
- Ability and experience developing and applying creative solutions to complex issues, often within a highly charged or sensitive environment.
- Knowledge of and experience applying the principles of management, supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; present information, proposals, and recommendations clearly and persuasively in public settings.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; demonstrate tact, diplomacy, and patience, and gain cooperation through discussion and collaboration.
- Ability to manage a multicultural workforce, promote an equitable workplace environment, and apply equitable program practices to diverse and complex City services.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in theirrésuméand answers to the supplemental questions, weighted 100%.Do not attach materials not requested
. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.Additional evaluation may be required prior to the establishment of an eligible list and/or final selection.Recruitment Timeline:
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change without notice Additional Information Application InstructionsApplicants must submit a professionalrésuméonline, as well as answer the supplemental questions specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Job Posting: 6/17/2019 - 7/15/2019
- Applications Reviewed: 7/16/19 - 7/23/19
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 7/26/19
- 1st Round of Interviews: Early August
- 2nd Round of Interviews (if needed): Mid August
- Job Offer:Late August
Do not attach materials not requested.
- Yourrésuméand answers to the supplemental questionswill be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to each supplemental questionshould include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications.You may want to prepare your answers offline and then cut and paste into the text box provided.
- Yourrésuméshould support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to your supplemental questions andrésuméany transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later thanthe closing date and timeof this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted
. If you are requesting Veteran's Preference
, attach a copy of yourDD214/DD215and/or Veteran's Administration Letter Stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later thanthe closing date and time of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting anaccommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named belowNo Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement. Questions?
Senior Human Resources Analyst
Bureau of Human ResourcesTamara.Larison@portlandoregon.gov
(503) 823-3523An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action EmployerOPTIONAL INFORMATIONAL SESSION:
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Session that will provide you with details about this position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job, but attending will help you with the application process. You are welcome to join us for this optional session:June 27, 2019 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Portland Parks and Recreation
Sixth and Main, 1050 SW 6th Ave, Portland, OR 97201, Room 513
Closing Date/Time: 7/15/2019 11:59 PM Pacific