JOB SUMMARY JOB SUMMARY
The General Services Director provides leadership, management and a cohesive vision for the General Services Department. The General Services Department includes the following City divisions-- Transit, Facility Management, Fleet Maintenance, the City's Parking and Mobility Program as well as the contract management oversight of the San Marcos Regional Airport which is managed by a third-party management firm. The Director Serves as a member of the City's executive management team; represents the City to outside agencies and within the community; and oversees a variety of boards and committees. This position reports directly to the Assistant City Manager. First review of applications on July 3rd ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Provides leadership and direction to the Department of General Services. Directs departmental operations and performs related administrative duties:
- Manages and directs the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, policies and procedures to achieve annual goals, objectives and work standards.
- Works with managers to develop, implement and monitor long-term plans, goals and objectives focused on achieving the City's mission and the City Council's priorities.
- Evaluate and determine departmental resource requirements.
- Facilitate the delivery of high-quality services to the public and operational departments of the City.
2. Demonstrate creativity and passion for innovation, develop and facilitate internal innovative solutions to achieve strategic organizational goals.
3.Conducts a variety of financial administration and oversight tasks:
- Directs the development of and monitors performance against the annual department budget.
- Allocates resources.
- Reviews and approves purchase and payment requests.
4. Communicates with and advises the City Manager, Assistant City Manager, City Attorney, City Clerk, Directors and City staff regarding departmental activities. Coordinates, facilitates, initiates, and report on programs, issues or events; obtains necessary approvals from the City Council and administrative personnel; provides input regarding city ordinances and policies.
5.Conducts a variety of staffing and personnel functions:
- Provides leadership and works with senior managers to develop and retain highly competent and customer service oriented staff through selection, compensation, training and management practices which support the city's mission and goals.
- Plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the performance of senior managers and their assigned staff
- Insure an environment that allows staff development and improvement.
- Establishes performance requirements and personal development goals.
6.Liaises and communicates with customers, citizens, outside agencies, local businesses, developers, and contractors to provide information, develop programming, facilitate projects, and resolve issues. Monitor relevant industry developments and evaluates their impact on city operations.
7.Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the City Council, officials, other department heads, staff, private and community organizations and others encountered in the course of work.
- Represents the City on various boards, committees and forums related to departmental planning, use, operations and management.
- Advise the City Council, City Manager, Assistant City Manager and others on departmental issues.
- Attend and participate in seminars and professional training events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Receives general administrative direction from the Assistant City Manager; exercises direct supervision over management positions in General Services. Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel.
- Manages assigned budgets, departmental programs, and grant funding.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS CORE COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor's Degree from a college or university in public or business administration or related field is required.
- 10 years of progressive administration experience with 5 years in a management role is required or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with a local or regional transit bus system is preferred
- Principles and practices applied in facilities maintenance including building, engineering, sustainability initiatives, energy management, planning and oversight of capital improvement and maintenance projects and their related procurement is preferred
- Principles and practices applied in the purchasing, planning, organization and coordination of City vehicles and equipment including maintenance and repair, fuel and vehicle information systems is preferred
- Working knowledge of paid parking management systems is a plus
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must have the ability to interpret and apply development/building codes; must have the ability to read/comprehend technical drawings, specifications, maps and manuals; must be able to review/prepare departmental policies, budgets, contracts, ordinances, reports; grant/program documentation, and administrative reports.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must demonstrate the ability to communicate and interact with diverse audiences; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City officials and departments, outside agencies, community organizations, civic clubs, vendors, contractors, and the general public.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 50 pounds occasionally. Subject to sitting, vision, hearing and talking constantly; standing, walking, reaching, handling, fine dexterity, balancing and foot controls frequently; lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling and climbing occasionally; bending rarely.
Working conditions involve working primarily in climate controlled office environment. May be exposed to outdoor weather conditions during inspections. Personal protective equipment supplied as needed.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous