Tacoma Venues & Events is responsible for sports and entertainment venues within the City of Tacoma (including the Tacoma Dome, Greater Tacoma Convention Center, historic theaters, and Cheney Stadium), the Office of Arts and Cultural Vitality, and the Special Events program.
TVE is seeking a Security Manager to focus on all aspects of security and public safety for TVE Venues, specifically the Tacoma Dome and Greater Tacoma Convention Center, ensuring a welcoming, secure and safe environment. The successful candidate for this newly created position will be responsible for establishing and monitoring security programs and directing staff and third party contractors in the implementation of these programs, to include guest safety, venue security, crowd management, traffic control, surveillance, patrol and protection of assets. The Security Manager will promote innovation and implementation of best industry practices to improve service delivery and efficiency. Key responsibilities:
- Develop and implement strategic plans and procedural manuals for guest and event safety, venue security, ingress and egress, crowd management, traffic control, surveillance, patrol and protection of assets; analyze and implement recommendations of venue security assessments to ensure highest industry standards and practices.
- Coordinate and liaise with third party providers of 24-hour security and event security/guest services; act as contract administrator to ensure consistency of quality service delivery.
- Liaison and coordinate with internal and external stakeholders including Tacoma Police Department, Tacoma Fire Department and regional law enforcement agencies.
- Research, recommend and implement state of the art technology solutions and innovative security management techniques to safeguard TVE personnel, assets, events and venues; ensure footprints are well protected and appropriate access control is in place.
- Establish and monitor budget; allocate resources.
- Work closely with venue clients to meet all event requirements for appropriate access and security; participate in event related security briefings with event production personnel, contract supervisors and staff.
- Primary contact for TVE emergency response; lead coordination of security/safety exercises (fire, earthquake, active shooter etc).
- Review event and incident reports (post event summary, missing property, guest illness/injury, crime etc) and oversee related follow up and investigations; provide reports and make recommendations.
- Facilitate TVE Safety Committee; liaise with City Risk Management, Human Resources-Safety, and Legal Department.
- Actively engage with industry related organizations including International Association of Venue Managers (IAVM), local, regional and national security affiliated organizations.
- Serve as venue manager on duty as assigned.
Additional information about the Tacoma Venues & Events venues can be found at www.tacomadome.org and www.tacomaconventioncenter.org .Benefits
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision benefits for the whole family; paid holidays and personal time off; participation in Tacoma's Public Employees' Retirement System and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities.For more information on the City of Tacoma's benefit package feel free to explore City of Tacoma Benefits. City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. The City of Tacoma's workforce goal is to reflect our community. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.Qualifications Desired Qualifications
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with specialization in business, facilities management, criminal justice or related field. Five years' progressively responsible operational, administrative and supervisory experience in a stadium, arena, convention center or multi-purpose public venue, or established law enforcement agency experience, or combination thereof strongly preferred. IAVM Academy of Safety & Security (AVSS)/ Trained Crowd Manager preferred. Familiarity with Safety Act preferred CPR/First Aid Certification required. A combination of education and/or training and/or work experience which clearly demonstrates and provides the ability to perform the work of the class is also acceptable.
Must be able to work extended, irregular and flexible hours including working evenings, weekends and holidays as required. Position is subject to standing and walking for extended periods of time, and subject to climbing stairs, working within loud environments and crowded areas. Position requires frequent interaction with guests, vendors, staff and public to include government officials, law enforcement agencies and VIPs. Knowledge & Skills
- Thorough understanding of security techniques and industry practices for large arena/stadium and convention center facilities.
- Ability to develop and ensure compliance with comprehensive policies and procedures that support a strong culture of security and safety.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with venue users, TVE staff and partners, event and venue related third party contractors and vendors, and the general public.
- Ability to plan, implement and coordinate infrastructure and asset control projects and improvements.
- Ability to interpret administrative rules, procedures and policies and apply professional judgment in the execution of same.
- Highly organized to ensure all aspects of the work are carried out in a timely and high quality manner.
- Solutions focused and a keen problem solver with the ability to think outside of the box; investigate situations and issues, gather and analyze information, and prepare detailed reports and recommendations.
Ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a detailed resume and cover letter describing your responsibilities as it relates to the responsibilities of this position. NOTE:
Applications received without attaching the required resume and cover letter will not progress in the selection process.
This is a competitive selection process.Your responses on the application form and supplemental questionnaire will be reviewed and evaluated for the quality and quantity of education/experience in the areas listed.Applicants who have the strongest backgrounds related to the responsibilities of this position may be invited to participate in the interview process. Appointment is subject to passing a background check and may include a medical examination and drugscreen.Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend at least an hour entering information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, questions regarding this job announcement, or if you are experiencing complications while applying, please contactthe Human Resources officeat 253-591-5400 by 4:00 pm of the closingdateof the job announcement.This will allow time to assist you before the job announcement closes. ( For technical difficulties usingthe NeoGov system ,call theapplicant support line at1-855-524-5627 between 6:00 AM and 5:00 PM Pacific Time.)
Closing Date/Time: 7/8/2019 5:00 PM Pacific