Tacoma Power, Transmission and Distribution (T&D), is seeking to fill a position in the Business & Financial Management Group. This position performs sophisticated and complex duties associated with all phases of contract development, negotiation and administration of material, service and public works construction contracts. Duties support a variety of areas related to T&D's delivery of services including, but not limited to, contract management, financial stewardship, and organizational performance.
This position requires a high performing, critically thinking, analytical, and experienced self-starter with excellent leadership skills, written and oral communication skills, customer service skills, and the ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.The position will work closely with the Power Warehouse, Purchasing Division, City's Attorney Office and senior management staff in addition to interaction with vendors, distributors and manufacturing representatives. T&D culture values safety, communication, accountability, professionalism, integrity, and respect.
The ideal candidate can make sound decisions, collaborate with a team, effective present information to a group, and works well under pressure. Additionally, the suited candidate will be self-motivated, detail oriented, adaptable and resilient.Primary Responsibilities:
- Manage all phases of development, evaluation, negotiation and awarding of material, service and public works construction contracts in compliance with City policy, procedures, code and Washington State law.
- Prepare proposal and bid specification documents with accepted public practices that are accurate, thorough and timely, including the coordination of technical specifications with T&D engineering groups.
- Provide contract compliance oversight including fund reporting, development of utilization reports to forecast future requirements and conducting post-project analysis to determine if goals are achieved.
- Implement contract fund increases, market price adjustments, term extensions and track expenditures.
- Provide audit support to ensure goods and services conform to contract terms and specifications. Resolve performance issues and contract related disputes in a timely manner.
- Direct the project closeout process for public works construction and improvement contracts.
- Develop, recommend and manage the T&D Distribution Transformer purchase biennium budget. Responsibilities include preparing expenditure projections, monitoring fund balance and drafting the supporting business case analysis.
- Perform duties of SAP material requirement planning (MRP) controller for the Power distribution transformer stock inventory.
- Manage the Tacoma Power Pre-Qualified Electrical Contractor program. Supervise the distribution and approval of applications for the annual program roster.
- Regularly make presentations to the Senior Leadership Team as well as the Tacoma Public Utility Board, providing overviews and briefs of requested contracts and addressing inquiries of the Utility Board.
- Effectively balance multiple assignments involving competing priorities and delivery date expectations.
Knowledge & Skills Decision Making
- Minimum of five years' experience in contract administration, public procurement and procurement specifications;
- Experience with analyzing data, financial reporting, trend analysis, fiscal and program auditing desired;
- Bachelor's degree in finance, public or business management, economics, or engineering desired;
- Electric utility experience and knowledge of electric utility equipment strongly desired;
- Ability to collaborate in cross-functional work teams in the development and implementation of efficiencies;
- Ability to present effectively to executives, boards and commissions;
- Ability to facilitate meetings effectively, balancing needs of various stakeholders;
- Applicable public procurement certifications are desirable;
- The successful candidate must work well in a collaborative team environment, have exceptional analytical and decision making skills, the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization, ability to lead staff, and demonstrate a strong work ethic;
- Knowledge of SAP functions, Ariba e-procurement system,inventory and/or supply chain management and facilitation skills are highly desired.
Act decisively and make timely decisions while seeking information from others and encouraging diverse opinions in order to improve the quality of decision making. Accept responsibility for personal decisions and their consequences while evaluating situations and options when considering financial and operational impacts.Customer Focus
Establish internal and external customer interface to increase satisfaction with products and services offered by the organization. Search out ways to enhance customer satisfaction by improving efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery. Emphasize team approach to providing exceptional customer service.Effective Communication
Clearly and effectively communicates with individuals and groups within and outside of the organization. Effectively present ideas in formal and informal situations. Constructively listen to others in order to accurately convey their ideas. Interact respectfully and sensitively with individuals and groups to develop and maintain productive relationships and achieve results.Professionalism
Professionally conducts all assignments in a timely manner, work with confidentiality and discretion. Work effectively through complex policies, processes, and organizational dynamics. Use a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.Technical Expertise
Highly developed research and quantitative analysis capabilities; project management skills; advanced computer skills using various application tools for leveraging information; technical writing and communication skills for compilation of reports and presentations. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
This recruitment is being managed by Rodney Croston, if you would like to be notified of similar opportunities or stay connected with things going on at Tacoma Public Utilities and the City of Tacoma, connect with me on LinkedIn .City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.Tacoma Power
Tacoma Power is an almost 100% hydroelectric, municipally-owned public power utility, located in Tacoma. We serve approximately 170,000 customers as one of the three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, alongside Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. As one of the most livable,walkablecities in the country, you'll find that Tacoma is a great fit for all interests with places to bike, run, hike, and explore, the perks of a big city, and the charm of a small town.The City of Tacoma
Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Propelled by significant developments such as the University of Washington Tacoma, the Tacoma Link light rail system, the restored urban waterfront of theTheaFossWaterway, the expansions of both theMultiCareand Franciscan health systems, and a significant influx of foreign direct investment in its downtown core, Tacoma has evolved considerably since the1990s.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location - just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast - only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video! Apply
Interested individuals should apply online and attach
a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Closing Date/Time: 7/12/2019 5:00 PM Pacific